Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project: Stargate Atlantis

Fresh Paint

Default Project: Stargate Atlantis

After about a week of designing on sketchup, my plans for the StarGate Atlantis case are almost complete. I’ll be using wooden slats to build a frame and sheets of polystyrene to skin the thing. Thicker layers of styrene will be used to make the accents and hull panels. I’m thinking that I’ll need to use bondo on the visable pieces of wood to make them look more like metal. Or at the very least, make them look like something that isn’t wood. I was going to wait till I was completely done with the design before posting the project, but I just can’t wait to begin construction. Besides, It could be months before I got every single aspect just right.

Here’s a close up on the front window. I’ve gone ahead and assumed that I can get blue colored acrylic. The white squares up on the top are going to be frosted and lighted with white LEDs.

It’s kinda funny, but I never planned on making the front window a window at all. It was originally opaque but I accidentally painted it with the blue clear color when making the side windows.

I like the placement of the side windows, but the components are a little low. I thought about moving the power supply to just below the motherboard, but it would interfere with the airflow. Airflow should move upward from the vents on the bottom towards the two exhaust fans on top. I’m not really sure what would happen if I put the power supply below the motherboard.

Here’s the other side. I still need to finish up on the small hull panels. I’m not sure what to call those blue things, so from this point I think I’ll call them “the blue things”. Great name huh? Anyway, the white lines will be the same frosted white acrylic with LEDs behind them.

The ancient writing will be lighted. I’ll cut out the letters in very thin pieces of styrene and place it on top of frosted acrylic to get the effect. I can only guess at the level of fun cutting out all those letters will bring! The round thing is supposed to be a stargate. I only added it to the design a few hours ago, but I think I really like it. I didn’t have much time to add details. Behind the gate, I’m going to put a small clear box filled with blue dyed mineral oil. I may put a fan inside it to stir up the liquid. It could look really cool, or it could make a really big mess.

Above that are the hidden optical drives. I’m still thinking about having a rolling door over both drives like the one on CrimsonSky's “Doom 3”. It might even be neat to put a motion sensor in. Then all I have to do is stick my hand down there and have the door open automatically. The problem with a motion sensor is that I can think of about a dozen ways it which it might malfunction. It might get annoying to have a small door on your computer randomly opening and closing when all you want to do is walk across the room.

I’ve been changing these side panels since I first put them on and I just can’t seem to make them work for me. I’m pretty sure that I’m going to discard them so there’s really no need to say anything about them. In fact, there’s really no need for this picture…

The top still needs the small details, but I think it looks good. I don’t know if I can make that small silver Pegasus-chevron logo above the front window. I’d like to have it cut out of aluminum with a water jet, but if I can’t find someone to do it I may resort to using a sticker. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cool looking blue 80mm fan? Something that might go with my theme.

Well, that’s my project. I’ll probably start working on it on Monday when I get the time.

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Stargate Atlantis

wow! i like the design!

cant wait to see where this one goes!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

That is something that will take a long time and a lot of very detailed work to complete. +Rep for even considering it!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

ATX Mental Case

Goodluck!!!

DUDE! This is going to be sweet if you can pull it off. Very cool design +Reps And welcome to TBCS

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

have any idea on how tall and wide its going to be? u might need a forklift for the lan parties!!
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the rep TGS and rendermandan. I’m glad everyone likes the design.

The case should stand around four feet tall. I’ll have to move some furniture out of my bedroom just to find a place for it!

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Three words come to mind:

OH. MY. GOD.

This this is gonna be sweet if you pull it off. /subscribe and a +rep as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

No way man.. For this I may have to drive the 10 hours to see in person. I love the show and the show that started it all, SG-1.

Off topic: Shame SG-1 is going to be over soon.

Back on topic: I think this is going to look awesome. I've been trying to think of a good Stargate themed mod and ya beat me to it.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Bopher, he pulls this off, and I'll stop by Cheyenne and pick ya up. This too is something I'd have to see in person!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream