Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: R2server

Default Re: R2server

That display is too cool dude, great craftsmanship as always!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Dave,
    I'm considering that method as well. I've seen some kits on ebay that are controlled by a keychain remote, All I need really is a 4 button jobby. From my first set of tests I'll need to attach relays tin place of the buttons on the Mp3 player. So If relays are going to cost me much I'll go with the kit (they come with relays), but i'll post some pics of the car so others see what I found out... might help someone out

CrazyBillyBob

Holy Cow..... There's a R2SRV Update!!!!

Yep, It's Update time. Wife's been out of town for almost 3 weeks, so Me and R2 have spent allot of time together lately.

I started with installing the Rear door hinges, and getting them Aligned ...that took way longer then it should have!!!

With the hinges in you need something to keep the door shut... So I installed a magnetic latch.

Here's a nice view with the latch installed.

With the rear door in I got ready to install the hinges for the front panels...I got a bit ahead of my self and removed the front skins... Only to notice that I lost part of a hinge... so I've only got one hinge for the door.

I've got a few sets on order now so it ok, but there's something depressing about seeing your project go backwards.

With the hinge debacle It was time to work on something else.
    As the motherboard had failed once already due to a cracked trace, I felt that the motherboard tray was probably not heavy enough for all the vibration and movement (both while driving R2 around, and in transporting him to shows). So it was time to make a new motherboard protection system. The old motherboard tray was made out of 0.062" aluminum (about 1/16) with an L bend in one end for mounting. The new "protection system" is made out of 0.152" (over 1/8") Aluminum folded into a box.
    This nice sheet of Aluminum came home with me from the metal shop, all ready to protect my motherboard.

After a little run in with the Masking tape roll, and marker the Box is laid out ready to cut.

This stuff is tough to cut!! took 1.5 hours to cut this out on the scroll saw.

Now comes the fun part, bending all this up. I was going into this thinking, the last one was easy to bend I mean it's only aluminum after all. Well Even with cutting 1/2 the way through with the dremel, it was 3 hours of bending for this. My home use two sections of angle iron and a vise bending was making me wish I had a nice pan break by the end.

All you guys that have made whole cases, and mod parts with 1/8" aluminum with just a vise and some wood or metal blocks....Have my full respect now. That stuff kicked my butt, To get it into final position I tried standing on the sides of the box (mind you I'm 6'2", and clocking at 250LBS) and they still wouldn't stay. So I got out the bar clamps clamped the sides and ends in lined up so I could drill and rivet them together. After all that work, you get something like this.

Not bad to start (I think I'll weld up the seams just to clean everything up). Now to layout and cut the hole for the Motherboard I/0, a little file work, drill holes for the MB standoffs and this is what you get.

The masking tape got a little beat up in the bending process but It protected the Aluminum quit nicely. I've gotta get a fan and a couple of switches from All electronics before I can finish the enclosure. I'm also planning some nice detail elements as well. I know it doesn't look like 2 weeks worth of work, but it was. I also got some planning done on my ankles, how to attach them and how to make the middle one. As well as a new light source for my projector (remember that old Idea...Yep it's back too!)
    I'm looking at the end press here I'm starting my push for MML6... So keep watching for more fun!

CrazyBillyBob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-20-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Will this be a moving or non moving build CBB? What I mean is, will it move around like the real R2D2?

3 weeks with a robot and no wife, that almost sounds like a good thing. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

It's official, we've hit a new low for geekiness.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Snow,
    R2 will move around like the Real R2D2...In fact he (R2SRV) made a showing at last years MillionManLAn....

I've posted these before but Here you go again...R2SRV in action

The First one is a short demo of R2 Running.
    http://www.fccmonline.com/LanImages/.../R2Dancing.avi
    For fun R2SRV was entered into the MR. WSVG contest, here he is doing a dance.
    http://www.fccmonline.com/LanImages/.../MRWSVG_R2.avi

CrazyBillyBob

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    Will this be a moving or non moving build CBB? What I mean is, will it move around like the real R2D2?

Ok, Little update on things here in the AstromechLab..

I worked on the center ankle cover, Not structural just hides all the load bearing members.
    I skipped pics of the layout (figured you got the Idea by now )
    Here is all the pieces laid out, The large one at the top will be folded into a rectangle, the flat area's on the curves at the bottom are just setting there to show what they should look like (test fit).

Then we fast forward through several hours of bending, welding, grinding to get this, still not done the flaps on the bottom need bent into place and welded. I'll use a series of tack welds to hold them into place while bending them from bottom to top. After there bent I'll finish the weld. The Mig welder makes this so much easier and faster then my torches.

With all the welds in place and cleaned up, it's time for a test fit.

You notice that it doesn't go all the way down, the corner of the load bearing member (alum plate in the middle) needs trimmed down... It will need to meet the grinder again. Other then that it looks good.

Next we'll move to the Fan Guard for the 40mm fan that will move air into the Processor protection System (little Alum box that the motherboard hides in). I had several designs that I had trouble picking from but finally settled on this one. Nice R2 Logo with 45degree connections to the screw mount holes (Thanks Grunts!!)

The drawing is spray glue mounted on a scrap piece left over from making the protection system, 1/8" alum taped to keep it from scratching. The quarter is there to show you how big a 40mm fan really is. After an hour or so meeting with the scroll saw, this lovely little thing emerges.

Needs some clean up with the needle files, and a bit of sand paper (yes I know the paper's still glued on...I'll get to that). Well there's a bit of a problem, see the idiot that drew the fan layout, mismeasured the screw mounting holes...

So they don't line up so well, It's useable but not perfect...So I'll be making a new one.....That's why the paper's still on, keep you all wondering how shinny is it really under there??? Well you'll have to wait till next time

From the deep bowels of a sand crawler, right next the scrap heap....
    CrazyBillyBob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob View Post
    Cause there’s like 5 people out there that aren't SW Geeks that knows what an R4 is everyone else will ask "What is it?" But R2 everyone knows. And there's many different Types Of R2's Yours Is an R2D2 mine is an R2-SRV. So they are different.

Crazybillybob

i know what an R4 is

NOT a star wars geek
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob View Post
    Holy Cow..... There's a R2SRV Update!!!!

Yep, It's Update time. Wife's been out of town for almost 3 weeks, so Me and R2 have spent allot of time together lately.

CrazyBillyBob
    you build replicas of r2D2 and still have a wife
    was that an accident or something??

JKJKJKJKJKJK sorry i had to say that
    building a working R2D2 server really takes some skill
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    you build replicas of r2D2 and still have a wife
    was that an accident or something??
    I started R2 after I got Married.... had some free time on my hands and needed another challange!

And Building a R2 replica doesn't take skills it builds them.... Trust me I didn't know allot of things before I started this mod I've learned allot along the way.... The point of the trip is sometime the journey.

CrazyBillyBob