Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: proper sanding

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Default Re: proper sanding

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    Yeah, so, I'm just gonna go ahead and send my case to you so you can paint it Kgreatthx!
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

o wow... I dont need a mirror shine but thats very good advice, i will take note for when i do a case that needs the mirror shine. Im currently just aiming for a glossy, smooth black surface. I still need to do some researchin on how to do the glossy black, also trying to figure out if i can get the plastic front the same glossy black.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

There are two ways to get a good glossy finish - the first is to use Gloss Black paint (no surprises there) as opposed to satin or matt black - the second is to use clearcoat after the black - then it won't really matter which black you use as the glossy shiny finish will come from the clear...

As for the plastic - you can paint that no problem - just give it a rough sand first to give the paint something to grip onto - if you want to be extra perfect - use a plastic primer on it first although that's not really essential it can help with long-term wear

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Cool thanks for the great advice. I will give it a go Thanks again guys

OK i sanded it and the paint is sticking, however, i am having issues with paint, im getting wierd textures that look like scratch marks where i sanded it before (this is plastic). I tried sanding down teh paint on the pastic till it was smooth and repainting it but the same thing happens. Am i spraying wrong or sanding wrong?

You'll have that with light coats. As you add more coats, you'll notice that they go away.

I have given it 3 coats and its all been fairly thick imo and i still have that texture. Also, now it seems that in certain areas im getting something that looks like cracking but is actually just thick paint? Also im getting some bubbles in parts and its leaving a strange texture on the paint job.

The strange texture and bubbles is due to a chemical reaction. You'll want to sand it down. Check the can for coat times.

OK, thanks. I sanded down the bubbles and repainted, So far it looks good.

I went to check it this morning, but it seems that i sprayed on a coat thats too thick? i have areas that look like stripes because some parts are thicker coated than others will i need to sand this down and recoat a couple more times? I ahve like 4 coats on this piece of plastic already...