Thread: 3870 After market cooler

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default 3870 After market cooler

I saw a 3870 cooler on Newegg, but it didn't specifically say it worked for a 3870 X2. Does it matter?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: 3870 After market cooler

It Very much does, you have two GPU's to cool. That is meant for a single GPU only and probably has no cutouts for a second GPU. Can you provide a like to the one you are looking at?
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Absolutely - chances are, the cooler designed for the 3870 will only have the one GPU heatsink - you'd end up with zero contact cooling on the second GPU and thats assuming one of the GPU's is in the same place as on the single GPU card...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

can anyone recommend a good cooler for the 3870x2? the stok setup is kinda crappy. eventually I'll LC it to go with the rest of my system, but I need a bigger rad first

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

The only case where a 3870 compatible cooler would be compatible with the 3870X2 is if it similar to the thermalright hr-03. If it is, then all you do it put one facing down, and the other facing up. You do have to buy two though...

Hope that helps,
    Indybird