Thread: S775 w/ AGP....

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default S775 w/ AGP....

Just wondering if there is such a thing as a motherboard with an intel 775 socket, DDR2 memory support and an AGP slot....

Might sound odd but I am thinking of building a new PC in lobo instead of transplanting my main system and I happen to have a S775 2.8 P4 2GB DDR2 and a 512MB Agp Radeon X1950XT lying around spare - that'd make a fairly decent system if I could get it all in one box....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Default Re: S775 w/ AGP....

I'm pretty sure all the 'legacy' boards that had AGP - they used the 865/875 chipset instead of the dead-end 915 or the later Pentium D/Core-supporting chipsets - all took DDR as well instead of DDR2, which was new and no faster at the time. My 915P-chipset Abit has PCI Express and DDR slots.

There are plenty of used 775/AGP/DDR boards around, though, if you're willing to buy a gig or two of DDR for that system

EDIT: I was wrong - there's at least one ASRock 'board that supports damn near anything, but it's hard to find and/or expensive; here's one on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I think this fits your description.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    I'm pretty sure all the 'legacy' boards that had AGP - they used the 865/875 chipset instead of the dead-end 915 or the later Pentium D/Core-supporting chipsets - all took DDR as well instead of DDR2, which was new and no faster at the time. My 915P-chipset Abit has PCI Express and DDR slots.
    I'm with you on this.. if you do manage to find a 775 board with AGP, it wont likely support anything past a P4, so you'll be stuck with a 3.8ghz EE (single core, and rare/pricey) at the very most. I imagine you'd likely be upgrading to a faster processor/card in the future anyways, so you might be better off going used until you are ready for the upgrade.

Just my 2cents.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Wonder what it'll cost me to get X1950XT equivalent power on a more modern card then - with the price of those boards, may well work out about the same price to get a board n card instead of just the board - just seems a shame to let that card sit idle - old it may be, but it'll still scrape a 5.9 in vista

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Supposedly, a HD4670 will, in many cases, beat a X1950XT. A HD4670 will set you back ~70USD, a HD4850 will run ~100USD and will definitely out perform that X1950XT.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    EDIT: I was wrong - there's at least one ASRock 'board that supports damn near anything, but it's hard to find and/or expensive; here's one on eBay.
    HAHAHA! I'd forgotten about that thing...I actually almost bought the s939 version of the board a while back

One thing to watch out with boards that have both AGP and PCIe is that (iirc) the AGP is a sort os virtual pseudo-AGP sitting on the PCIe bus that doesn't work with all AGP cards.

ECS P4M800PRO-M V2

That board has AGP, s775 with early Core2Duo 1066mhz support (some may need bios flash), and has 2 DDR slots and 2 DDR2 slots. Only one or the other can be used at a time, but its nice to have the option of which.

I've got V1, which only supports up to PentiumD, though some people have said they've gotten some of the new Celerons to run in it, but I'm not willing to buy a chip just to try.

I had been using it as a server for over 2 years without a hitch. It had easily gone times when I hadn't turned it off/rebooted for over 6 months to a year.

EDIT: The P4M800Pro-M2 is a different board so watch out for that. Also watch out because there is a s478 version of the P4M800Pro-M as well as s775.