Thread: Media PC

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

Default Media PC

Ok. I want to build a Media PC (already have it built into an old desktop case), into an old receiver. I'm thinking something vintage. Like an old Fisher or kenwood receiver. Like this

Hmm.....thoughts?

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: Media PC

Damn that's old stuff lol - sounds like a plan - the real trick here would be finding something where you could reuse as many as the original controls as possible - I have an old USB media centre case control unit I'm planning on putting into K-9 - allows things like next, prev, play pause etc via buttons - I'm sure similar items would be available on ebay or elsewhere...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Overclocked

You can actually get case made like the reciver for pcs already.. dont have to make anything but if you want custum you have to start worrying about hight of cpu cooler hardrive placmend dvd or blu ray rom if you want that or not Perosanly I dont like to build a computer with out a dvd rom at least and media centers I just throw a blu ray rom in now I dont because the players are the same price and work better..

powersupply dvd rom are the 2 biggest issues useing old buttons isnt a big problem but depends on how they were wired in..

unless your good at moding stuff just buy a media case because they come with screens all the buttons work audio too with remotes as well for some of them make the media experinace much nicer but to each their own..

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

If you follow his link, you'll see the style he's after is a million miles away from anything that's commercially available....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    If you follow his link, you'll see the style he's after is a million miles away from anything that's commercially available....
    Thats just an idea. I'm currently running a Onkyo TSXR806 for my home theater system. I just figured getting something old and using it would be cool.

As for the hardware, that'll be the easy part. Power/reset/eject are the easy parts. putting the BD-ROM out the side or maybe turn the control buttons (fast forward, reverse, etc) into a fold down flap to hide the drive could work too. Something to that effect.

First things first, getting the receiver to find out what I have to work with. Heh.

EDIT: N/M Found a Sony STR-DE885 for $30 on ebay. Almost looks like my Onkyo really. So it'll be here by the end of the week and we'll see how it goes. Heh.
    Last edited by gntlkilr; 09-22-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Addition

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."