Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on new laptop

Default Opinions on new laptop

Hi guys, I am looking in the market for a nice gaming laptop, so far I've found 2. The help I need is everyone's opinion on which one to get, and if you have a better suggestion, I'm listening.

The first laptop is a Sager NP8760. The configuration will include: Intel Core i7-820qm, nVidia Geforce GTX 280m, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

You can find the gallery and technical specs here: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8760-...op-p-2660.html

The second laptop is an Asus G73JH-A1, although it hasn't been released yet, ETA middle to late Feb. The configuration on this will include: Intel Core i7-820qm, ATI Radeon HD 5870 Mobility, 8GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM (cannot order with less than 8GB), 320GB 7200RPM HDD, and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

You can find the gallery and technical specs here: http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha1-order-p-2731.html

So what do you think guys? Better to wait for the Asus, or go with the Sager?

Default Re: Opinions on new laptop

I thought the i7's were all triple channel memory..?

I'm an Asus fan, so that gets my vote.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I thought the i7's were all triple channel memory..?

I'm an Asus fan, so that gets my vote.
    Pretty sure the i3, i5 and i7 built on the 1056 socket are dual channel.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Ah my bad, you are right.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I actually only learned that today while reading my copy of the TechInsight...

Learned a lot about the new procs, both desktop and server.

I am also a big ASUS fan, so that gets my vote.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I would wait for the Asus. I've been drooling over that laptop since I saw the press release for it from CES, and quite honestly when it is released there won't be many laptops on the market that can compare for pure performance, and there won't be any that can compare in performance for the money (assuming xoticpc's price is correct). Personally though, I steer clear of xoticpc; granted I'd never heard of them before seeing a link to the G73JH-A1 page in engadget comments, but they just feel really shady to me (discounts for paying in cash? really?). To my knowledge, they're the only site that is taking pre-orders atm, but once the G73JH-A1 is actually released, I'm sure there will be plenty of sites selling them.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Thanks for the input guys, but I believe I'm going with the Sager, nothing against Asus, my friend owns one and it's a great laptop, but I like the design of the Sager and it was cheaper than upgrading the Asus. Yeah, sure I missed out on the standard 8GB RAM and the new DirectX 11 GPU, but those things are just for gloating anyways... I'd rather gloat over a completely custom desktop than a laptop that anyone with 2,000 bucks can buy...

Oh and the i3, i5, and i7 are built on the 1366 and 1156 sockets, but those are the desktop cpu's, I think the laptop ones are socket 439... Those can either be triple-channel or dual-channel memory...

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf

just some info.... ASUS had the lowest failure rate over three years of all the laptops. What sucks is My school discount program only has HP's.... So that's what I'm getting
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

IDK how much of a discount you get from HP, but a bunch of other OEMs have student discounts that aren't dependent on specific schools.

EDIT:
    Oh, and btw, MrNintend0, if you get the Sager, I would highly recommend that you buy it straight from them instead of through a questionable middleman.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    IDK how much of a discount you get from HP, but a bunch of other OEMs have student discounts that aren't dependent on specific schools.
    well, the way they have it configured its approx $3200-$3500, for $1499, so its a pretty good discount
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)