Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xbox 360 suddenly having issues

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default xbox 360 suddenly having issues

It's 70* in my room right now. Haven't played the 360 all day. Turned on the fans immediately rev up, the HDD powers down and two flashing red lights indicating overheating issues.

I'm ****ing pissed.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Default Re: xbox 360 suddenly having issues

... do you know what revision 360 u have?
    this could be an improper contact issue due to heat warping..
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

It's the elite, that's all I know. lol

After assuring them 20 times there was NOTHING physically blocking the 360 to cause an overheating issue AND that it was revving up after being on 5 seconds at 3am with the room being under 70 friggin degrees the geniuses at microsoft decided it was in fact a hardware issue.

120 dollars later I have a printing label and will be shipping it out today or tomorrow. At least it extends the warranty an extra year. POS 360... it literally went about 2 years in the box in my closet... a total of 6 months of play time and even then 2 months of that was rarely playing because I couldn't stand gaming on 480i when I had my PC to game on in high res.

EDIT: Anyone know if I opened the 360 myself since it's outta warranty, if they'd still repair it and cover me for the year? I know opening it would void it but... if the warranty's already out, why not right? I'm thinking if possible I'd like to open it up and maybe re-grease the hoe and upgrade the fans/put some rubber rings on the drive to help quiet it up.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I've heard that, if the console shows signs of "tampering" as MS likes to put it, they ship it back to you, without repairing it, with a partial refund (less a handling fee and shipping)

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I actually called to see and you are correct. I also asked if they'd install a silent fan for me and of course they said no. It was worth a shot though right?

I've found that even the newer boxes have some heat issues if operating horizontally. Have you tried standing it up and seeing if it works that way?

I have one right now that runs fine standing up, but lay it flat, and it overheats in 5-10 mins.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

It was standing up and nothing was near it with 6". Also, It was overheating after 5 seconds. Literally. It didn't even get to the menu before the fan was revved up. Sometimes the hdd would spin down and the red lights would come on within 20 seconds and sometimes I could leave it on and it'd run fine aside from the fan whining.

So even if it was 120* in my room, there's no reason it would overheat within 5-20 seconds. lol

OK, well in that case there's definitely some issues. Get the replacement, then swap the fans yourself.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

lol... as to the horizontal thing, i put my 360 on top of a DVD case or some kind of stand so it has airflow all around.
    Not dead yet

I have mine horizontal as I have a 2 yr old who would love nothing better than to knock it over and cause lovely ring scratches all over my games. no heat issues for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER