Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Comcast Banhammer. Welcome to insanity.

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Default Re: The Comcast Banhammer. Welcome to insanity.

I don't have the fastest connection, but that's by choice. (Decided by my wallet)
    This cap idea scares me. I am always online, and I am always streaming movies. Be it Netflix or Hulu. Often I will have Netflix on my PC and PS3 at the same time. Plus my son that plays an online RPG all day. So yeah, we are very heavy users. If my ISP started enforcing a limit, I might just cry.
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

TBH, I would be fine if I didn't do any uploading. I'm a pretty heavy downloader, but even then I probably don't go over 200GB in a normal month. ...of course, when a new table set comes out, that goes out the window, what with the last couple topping 300GB.

I would say that probably about 800-900GB of that 1,386GB was upload traffic, and about 500-600GB of that was probably the Church of Wifi WPA tableset...a lot of people seem to want those. That torrent always had upload traffic, and would use as much bandwidth as I would let it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    TBH, I would be fine if I didn't do any uploading. I'm a pretty heavy downloader, but even then I probably don't go over 200GB in a normal month. ...of course, when a new table set comes out, that goes out the window, what with the last couple topping 300GB.

I would say that probably about 800-900GB of that 1,386GB was upload traffic, and about 500-600GB of that was probably the Church of Wifi WPA tableset...a lot of people seem to want those. That torrent always had upload traffic, and would use as much bandwidth as I would let it.
    oh god, you're the guy i leech off aren't you?

Hahaha! I might just be, yeah. I'm a firm believer in seeding everything as much as possible. Case in point, I'm actually a bit ashamed that my D******d ratio is only at 3.12 ...I normally try to seed things until I hit 10.0 ...that gives me an idea...find a cheap seedbox provider that will also let me run a webserver on it, and set up a thing where people can upload their torrents to, and then rotate torrents out by ratio when my storage gets too low. That way I have no control over what is seeded (read: limit my legal liability), and people can get a high speed seed for their torrent. ..hmmm... At the very least, it would be an interesting experiment to see what kinds of content people would use such a service for... I might just do that...I saw a few seedbox services for <$10/mo...
    Last edited by OvRiDe; 04-12-2010 at 02:02 AM.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Hahaha! I might just be, yeah. I'm a firm believer in seeding everything as much as possible. Case in point, I'm actually a bit ashamed that my Demonoid ratio is only at 3.12 ...I normally try to seed things until I hit 10.0 ...that gives me an idea...find a cheap seedbox provider that will also let me run a webserver on it, and set up a thing where people can upload their torrents to, and then rotate torrents out by ratio when my storage gets too low. That way I have no control over what is seeded (read: limit my legal liability), and people can get a high speed seed for their torrent. ..hmmm... At the very least, it would be an interesting experiment to see what kinds of content people would use such a service for... I might just do that...I saw a few seedbox services for <$10/mo...
    I'm a firm believer in 'it's all illegal anyway, nobody has the right to the moral high ground'

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    I'm a firm believer in 'it's all illegal anyway, nobody has the right to the moral high ground'

sorry
    Hey, not all torrent activity is illegal... ..case in point, the stuff that really decimated Comcast's limit...
    --Benjamin Franklin

Haha! We all KNOW what it would be used for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    Haha! We all KNOW what it would be used for.
    Can't be sure until it's done, right? And maybe I happen to set it up to send the contents of the torrent to my system before it deletes it.....you know, for backup, right?
    --Benjamin Franklin

Yes, of course. Wouldn't want to lose those IMPORTANT torrents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

I think we're all getting too friendly with the torrent talk. There are pretty strict rules about not talking about torrents here, even if they are from a legal torrent site that only has open source content torrents.

I think mentioning our bandwidth use is usually enough for people to get the idea of what we are talking about, and if they ask you can say 'downloads' or 'a very big WoW update'.