Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atari Portfolio

Default Re: Atari Portfolio

Incidentally, your observations about the DMCA aren't incompatible with mine. I'd never thought of the entire platform (or even the firmware portion of it) as fitting under the "dongle" definition, lol.

idk Atari's policies either. Like you say, ancient machinery (like the Lynx) is generally ignored, essentially becoming abandonware. I suspect Atari wouldn't bother challenging my attempts to play with Lynx hardware/firmware/software unless
    1) I was somehow trying to make money off it, selling the games or game systems or Atari brand or whatever,
    2) Atari already has (or plans to have) a re-release of the stuff I'm tinkering with,
    3) the Lynx incorporates some specific technology which is somehow classified or - worse - now the intellectual property of somebody else.

Not to sound like I'm a criminal (or violate TCBS terms, lol) ... but I personally lean quite heavily into the anti-DRM mindset. This doesn't necessarily mean I download tons of pirated torrents, nor does it mean that I distribute them either. But it does mean that if I buy a machine, or software, or music, or movies then I feel entitled to do whatever I damned well please with the media (in private, lol). Even if that means, for example, getting modded DVD±R firmware or software which strips watermarks, or whatever. (All defined as technically illegal under DMCA.)

In any case - diverting threadjack - the Lynx is a really neat-looking little gadet. I'm not so impressed with the Portfolio, to me it just looks like a primitive rudimentary PDA.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    I personally lean quite heavily into the anti-DRM mindset.
    Same here, but as the saying goes, "ignorance of the law is no excuse", so I try and keep up with the laws I'm skirting as much as possible. Doesn't really bother me if somebody is going to bend/break certain of those laws, I just try and make sure they know where the line is...whether that helps them bend said law or just lets them know when they should be careful is open to interpretation.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The argument that ancient Greek philosophers and modern cops/judges deal with frequently. Ultimately, no matter how the law is actually written, something is not actually "illegal" until/unless somebody is formally accused of a crime.

Of course the guild of assassins lawyers knows their craft well. Remember that judges are more than just magnanimous wise and fair arbiters ... they're career lawyers who've been selected and appointed to their positions by politicians (in return for special legal favours, I would presume). The real truth is that the law is largely written to protect the status quo. Justice exists, but not in areas where powerful agencies (corporations) are able to influence the law. Just my opinions, lol, I'm a cynic.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    they're career lawyers who've been selected and appointed to their positions by politicians
    Actually, something cool I found out a while ago; not all of the states in the US require elected judges to be lawyers.

...sorry, getting even further off topic.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I think we drifted off topic (Atari Portfolio) somewhere around post #5.

It was ahead of it's time, but the Lynx was way ahead of it's time.

Some might recall back in around 1991 Atari successfully sued Sega for the latter's use of it's joystick controller pin connection (the standard set up with the old VCS 2600). However, that was the old Atari, today's Atari is purely software (except for those retro Flashback consoles). Still, I don't expect Atari modern would go after anyone "Terminator" Nintendo style. There is someone that has been making portable Atari VCS 2600s (chopping up big consoles, adding an LCD screen) and he hasn't been prosecuted. But with Nintendo you could be sued for even putting up an image of a vintage Game & Watch, lol.

Klax was a beautiful game, that nearly got released on the Atari 7800 console. It was about to be ported to that console in 1992, when they canned it to make way for the 1993 Jaguar 64 bit console.

Klax Lynx

Klax VCS 2600

Nintendo Parachute

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    When Atari got sold off after the 1984 videogame crash, new owner Jack Tramiel took Atari away from games and more into computers. They had some good PCs and hardware. When they got back into games they came up with the world's first color handheld (1989), which allowed 4 player wireless gaming on one of the titles. Sadly the Atari Lynx was very expensive and went through batteries quickly, so most went with the cheaper b/w Nintendo Gameboy.

Right handed or left handed, Lynx had you covered. Once again Atari was ahead of its time.

Lynx on You Tube

I had one of those.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Still, I don't expect Atari modern would go after anyone "Terminator" Apple style. [/URL]
    Fixed. Proof here.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

.....and crap like that is why I have such a low opinion of Apple... Yes, they're fully within their rights to do it, but really? Going after a company that provides a service that they don't, because they're not licensing the plugs? Maybe this is why so much of the rest of the industry just uses the same plugs.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Jobs being an a@# again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field