Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Mod or a Model - where do you draw the line?

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default A Mod or a Model - where do you draw the line?

Here's one of those random things that pops into my head and then returns over and over.... Trust me, if I posted every random thought, you guys would probably end up sending the men in white coats to my door heh

When does a mod stop being a mod and become a model. There are hundreds of casemods out there which are, undeniably, case mods - they are simply cases which have been modified for performance or appearance so yeah, definitely a "mod".

On the other hand there are scratch builds which are blatently computer cases first, and a mod second - I point you to the server case being planned as we speak by fuganater for example, or the Home Server build, Holocron which Darthbeavis recently completed. Again, I don't think there's any denying those are CASE mods.

Finally, I call your attention to Bods Tron lightcycle. Now don't get me wrong, Brian did an AMAZING job - his attention to detail and the end result are brilliant and all kudos to the man for a truly original piece of art.... and I back those comments up with my vote in the CM contest so I am in no way trying to berate or malign the project....

BUT

Is it really a casemod, or is it a kick-ass model which just happens to have a PC built into it. The Doom3 case which attracted (and still attracts) so much attention - the transformation was SO complete, there's almost nothing left of the original case - definitely not externally, so again, is it really a CASEmod, or again, an awesome model which just happens to have a PC in it? The Doom3 case is obviously a lot less debatable, as it DOES have a PC case in it as it's basis, but there is almost nothing stock in the Lightcycle for example.

What do you guys think - are builders straying too far from the essence of the PC to still truly be a CASEmod - or is it the natural course of things to constantly push the envelope and get gradually further and further from the "norm".....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: A Mod or a Model - where do you draw the line?

Personally I think "scratch builds" and "casemods" are 2 different things.

Scratch builds are just that. You start with pretty much nothing and end up with some type of computer case.

Case mod is just that as well. You take any computer case. Strip it, cut it, tear it apart. But the end product is a mod around a prebuilt chassis.

To me, "scratch builds" and "models" are the same thing. Just my opinion.

Oh there's definitely a difference between a mod and a scratch build - there's no argument there - I think my point was "Where's the line between a scratch build PC case, and a Scratch build model which CAN hold a computer" lol - I know - confusing and stuff - I never said these random thoughts that pop into my head are well thought out heh

Here is where the difference come in.

Simple google searches based on these search terms yield two very different results:

Case Mod

Scratch Build

I'm just guessing but the whole idea of classifying both forms as Case mods, is for simplistic searching. In my opinion, they are two completely different realms, but in terms of marketing a competition like CM's yearly contest, it's much easier to classify it all as case mods as opposed to case mods/scratch builds.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i think its scratch build if its designed to have a computer in it as the end result. i believe its a model, if its already built, and is an after thought. i think thats what you mean. by the way, in the time it took you to read this, the men in white have arrived at your door SOC. have a nice day!
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

If they both serve the same purpose I don't see why it should matter whether you made the chassis or some big company did. It's just putting labels on things for the sake of having a label.

I think you guy's are missing the OP's point a bit. Let's imagine you built a 12' tall statue of michael jackson as a computer case - I'd find myself describing it as 'a 12' tall statue of michael jeckson with a computer inside it', not a 'machel jackson computer case.

It's an interesting perspective and not one I've thought of before.

Yeah, I'm not talking about the difference between a case mod and a scratch build, I'm talking about the difference between a custom case (modded stock or scratch build), and something which is mainly a model which happens to have a PC inside it.

I guess the line COULD be drawn, inspired partially by dr.walrus's comment, based on if the computer is the "point" or the case/model is the priority. I was planning (and may still build but it's doubtful) a Doctor Who K-9 case for my son - and if I'm honest it was basically going to be me building a full size replica of K-9 which happened to have a PC in it - it would have been more about the model...

Having said that, I'd still love to do it just for the hell of it - I know if I don't, someone, someday will and I'll think "Crap that was MY idea" lol

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Yeah, I'm not talking about the difference between a case mod and a scratch build, I'm talking about the difference between a custom case (modded stock or scratch build), and something which is mainly a model which happens to have a PC inside it.

I guess the line COULD be drawn, inspired partially by dr.walrus's comment, based on if the computer is the "point" or the case/model is the priority.
    I think that pretty much nails it.

And if this is just one of many random thoughts like this running through your head maybe we should send the gentlemen in white coats as a matter of public safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Personally I'd draw the line based on the materials employed and how they've been used. As mentioned by other people already, I think it's a case mod if you start off with a case. After all, if you don't start with a case you can't very well mod it can you?!

If you build the case from nothing and DON'T use any computer components except the hardware necessary for it to work then it's a scratchbuild. My laptop for example is a scratchbuild as it only uses the hardware from the donor and not a single case component. The fact that the case is stored untouched in a box in my kitchen means that this can't possibly be a casemod...

As far as models and scratchbuilds goes (I know this is an evolution of the thread and not the original question) this is harder to define. A model CAN be scratchbuilt but that doesn't stop it being a model... In a sense my laptop is more a model (well diorama really) than it is a laptop. But it's entire purpose is to be both of these things, a diorama AND a laptop. So what is it? Casemod, no. Scratchbuild, yes. Model, debatably yes.

The same is true for dozens if not hundreds of other projects both by the guys here at TBCS and elsewhere on the interweb. I think the line between casemod and scratchbuild is pretty final though. I put it down to whether you start off with a case or not. Simple