Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What I did this weekend.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: What I did this weekend.

I didn't realize it was a desired material for anything. Interesting. I'd never actually heard of it being used for anything. I know it's a hardwood, as hard as maple and some species of oak, but I guess because of its limb growth patterns it's not commonly cultivated (at least not that I've ever seen). It grows all over the place around here; even more so in southern Delaware where I grew up. When my family lived in DE we had a 20-acre lot, mostly wooded, mostly with trees less than ~50 years old (the area had been logged at some point), and probably about 30% were American Holly; especially around the edges of clearings. It's a remarkably persistent species.

I keep forgetting to count the rings on the stump...tried just now, but I can't make them out clearly enough with a flashlight. I'll try and remember to check them out in the morning; I'm curious to see how old it actually was.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

NOOO!!!!

*sigh*

Holly for a guitar? hmm...

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Holly guitar pick?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I didn't realize it was a desired material for anything. Interesting. I'd never actually heard of it being used for anything. I know it's a hardwood, as hard as maple and some species of oak, but I guess because of its limb growth patterns it's not commonly cultivated (at least not that I've ever seen). It grows all over the place around here; even more so in southern Delaware where I grew up. When my family lived in DE we had a 20-acre lot, mostly wooded, mostly with trees less than ~50 years old (the area had been logged at some point), and probably about 30% were American Holly; especially around the edges of clearings. It's a remarkably persistent species.

I keep forgetting to count the rings on the stump...tried just now, but I can't make them out clearly enough with a flashlight. I'll try and remember to check them out in the morning; I'm curious to see how old it actually was.

Oh yea, Its used in Dresser drawers and the back side of cabinets a lot on the antique stuff. Should ask the ultimate desk guy, i bet he'd know a lot about that stuff. i just know what my grandpa talked about.

Use a magnifying glass and ask your lady for a few sewing needles or pins or Throwing some stain on it will really show some contrast between the rings.

Interesting.

I got out and counted the rings the other day but forgot to post it. Turns out it's a lot older than I thought. I counted about 70 before it got into the last ~1/2"dia of heartwood, so I'm gonna say probably about 70-75 years old.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Interesting.

I got out and counted the rings the other day but forgot to post it. Turns out it's a lot older than I thought. I counted about 70 before it got into the last ~1/2"dia of heartwood, so I'm gonna say probably about 70-75 years old.
    Just think about all the s@#t that tree could tell you if it had neurons, eyeballs a brain to remember things and some form of communication.

I'd ask it how many children have been in your branches since the beginning of time, and we're lawn mowers scary when you were a sapling?

It's a big problem here in Oklahoma with people cutting down old growth trees, Here in Oklahoma city you actually have to call the city and request some sort of botanist or crap to come and examine the tree and establish if that tree should be removed or not.

I know in the heritage district you can't remove a tree unless its taken significant damage in a storm has disease or has become structurally deficient and has started to die.

(couldn't find some nice pictures of the old growth trees along hudson ave, but you get the idea..lol )

Which i mean is pretty sweet, because trees really do make a neighborhood. If you want to see two distinct differences between a ghetto and a "nice neighborhood" it's the presence of large trees.

At any rate since i'm radically off-topic...i'd save a few logs and throw them in the smoker and smoke you a couple pounds of assorted meat and toss em in the freezer again.

then you can say... "I ate the tree out back b#%tches"

Oh, I'm far from treeless. I keep meaning to take a picture of my back yard in the daytime, but I haven't actually been home in daylight for...almost a week? Fracking work schedule...should be calming down in a week or so, but crazy busy right now..

Here's a flyover shot..I'll try and remember to get a shot in the morning. Green outline is approximately my lot; red circle is the tree I cut down. Hardly a scratch.
    --Benjamin Franklin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Definitely the GREENEST part of your lot....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Haha, yeah...apparently that picture was taken in the winter...you can really pick out the evergreens.
    --Benjamin Franklin