Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: fan help

Question fan help

i have a 80mm fan mount in the back of my computer and a 40mm grill in the front but theres some problems ive run into
    first the 80mm the mount is in the back where air is not very easy to flow to since its 5 inches from a wall and just below my psu which is kicking out hot air what should i do? would the fan even make a difference?
    now the 40mm the grill is 40mm in height and 120mm in width i know its a mount because its got a place for mounts and they wouldnt just put a grill there for fun but the mounts are 40mm apart vertically but 95mm apart laterally? is it an actual fan mount? if so what kind of fan?

i ask this because my system is running hot and its old 40gb hdd and a 1.3ghz proc with a 100mhz fsb its been freezing up alot lately when i run the processor continuously at 100% and never comes back so i have to restart will the fans help? and one more question i know youll think im stupid but what exactly is overclocking and how do you get a processor to over clock because i think intel put a governor of some sorts on my celeron. and currently one more tidbit i have no fans in my case except dor the heatsink on the northbridge and the heatsink and fan on my proc

Default Re: fan help

Installing a fan's an easy mod to make-if you don't think your comp has the mounts for it, then all you need to do is drill a couple a' holes and your sorted.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

about the overclocking thing, I've found a link to a website/forum on which it is all explained...
    you'll find it here

hope that explaines it for you, it sure helped me understand a bit more about overclocking

Overclocked

5 inch on the back of your comp is more than enough. Ive got less than 3 inches in the back of my comp and no heat problems.

A thing you should know : Fresh air comes in the front of the case and get blown away in the back. Your back fan should be blowing outside your case so all the hot air that accumulates in your case go away. The PSU fan blowing hot there has nothing to do, its perfecly normal. Also try to mount a fan on the front of your case, even if the opening is not square or round as your fan, you know that a hole is a hole anyway, and will let air thru it no matter what.

Try to clean the inside of your case, take out these heatsinks and clean them to make sure dust is not blocking the air from refreshing the heatsink. Try to manage your cables so they dont get in the way of the air, and have the idea that you are trying to make a ''wind tunnel'' that will go from the front of the case to the back. Keep at least one ''tunnel'' clean from any cables so that the air can flow normally.

Hope Ive helped

thank you for all the help i cant drill holes my dads kinda wierd about this computer the only good thing is the internet connection almost 1mb/s and the cable copany advertises up to 15mb/s and we have a weak connection and an 8 year old modem btu tis still good but a 1.3ghz celeron with a 100mhz fsb and 384mb of ram and the board will only hold 512mb and i guess then overclocking is just going into the bios and playin around and rasing speeds but i need to do alot of homework before that so if my psu and a 34+cfm fan are kickin out the back the air from th proc fan will be pulled out in a sort of vaccum? but yea thanks guys

1 more question and ill get out of your hair until i run into a baffling situation again does anyone know of a link to turning a regular mouse into a wireless one that still works and a link to putting an led into a mouse that doesnt already have one because i have a old spare compaq one layin around although i perfer the trackball i now use i was gonna wor on it since i opened it yesterday and im pretty sure most everyone here has had a mouse befora that bottomed out and i doubt that new ones do it but i recycle everything i tryed to make a fan out of and old pretzel jar (plastic) and a rc car motor it might work i dont know yet but yea i wann paint it stiffen up the button and fix the lowrider problem whil making it wireless and put an led or 2 in it

Overclocked

Please watch your grammar, it's pretty hard to read you.

You wont be able to turn a normal mouse into a wireless one unless youve got a pretty good amount of cash and time to use. You could just buy one brand new, there are some good ones at $20. And I didnt understood your led-in-a-mouse thing. Could you re-explain it please?

And you dont really need to drill new holes in your case, if you just go buy a new fan there surely will be some holes already made in your case so that you can use 4 bolts and screw it there. OR if you dont have holes made for fans, you will probably have 4 square holes made for a fan socket, if you can find one you will be able to put a fan there. OR you can just tape it there and try not to restrain the air flow with the tape

Yes I am sorry about my grammar, i'm quite young and just got out of school for the summer. My english grammar and spelling are quite good even though i'm young for my grade. Yes I know when writing formal pieces conjunctions aren't preferred. I don't need holes though someone told me to drills holes. I only have 5 possible places for fans.
    -1 open pci slot and 1 open agp slot
    I just don't like to use full typed words and proper grammar, I guess i'm lazy. Yes though, how people change the led in there mouse to have a unique color. I want to put an LED or 2 in my old mouse. Also if I got a new mouse i'd have to get a wireless trackball which are running way past $20. I have money but im saving it to build a computer, currently with the money my mother owes me, I have $600 but only have $370 of it in my posession. I just need to know how to make it wireless. Do I wire up a diode, like in a tv remote? I have a soldering iron and solder and a somewhat good soldering skill, so thats not a problem. It doesnt have a source of power yet so that kills the chance of me frying the board as I did on 4 of my rc cars. The FET's couldnt mesh with a voltage as high as I was running but it was trial and error.

I just had a burst of knowledge, what if I built a plexi glass duct to fresh air that hooked up to the 80mm fan in the back with some pvc pipe. Also rather than leaving the end of the duct open mounting the biggest fan possible on the end hopefully reducing noise leve and help cooling alot. Would that work? I could build the ducting by monday.

a few things,
    to make a mouse wireless you would actually require knowledge of how to build a complete pair of wireless circuits (one for mouse end one for receiver which is sooo far beyond me its funny)
    whilst you are inside the pc next time, check its capacitors (see if they are bulging or burst), specifically those around the cpu, that could also cause some instability. (seems to have been pretty common on mainboards of that era).
    just remember with fans, its throughput is decreased pulling air through a pipe but not pushing air into a pipe. (meaning a duct from outside leading to a fan may decrease its effectiveness, whereas a fan on the case pushing air from outside into a duct might help).