Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux?

Default Re: Linux?

Banana boat do dooo do do do

Now that that's out of the way. Have you tried restarting after you've installed lolz. Dumb question but sometimes it works for me.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Yeah, I had to restart. lol ><
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I have an .iso and this thread pretty much awnsers my question perfectly. The only problem is, I don't understand a lick of what they are talking about. Can anyone help me?

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic483.html

mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist

Thats what it says when I try mounting my .iso.

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Umm...not really. What are you trying to do? Burn an ISO through linux? That's what the guys there are talking about-BASH is a shell in Linux, where a shell is (in layman's terms) the command prompt.

If you're burning under Windows, open the ISO with something like ISO-Buster and then copy from the ISO to a new folder. Then copy the contents of the folder to a disk. The best way to do this is with some proper ISO burning software to burn straight to a disk.

An ISO is basically a large single file that contains the entire binary data stream from a CD. It doesn't have logical files in it, unless you use something like ISO buster to 'translate' the data into files.

Kind of like a Zip file.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Try this to burn an .iso file to a cd/dvd;

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

oh I know about mounting images and all that good stuff. But only on windows, I tested it out first on my brothers windows computer and it worked perfectly. But then I tried to mount it on linux, which has a built in mounting tool, it gave me that error message. I searched it and came up with that link, which explained how to correct the error. My problem is, I don't understand how to use linux. Everything they said was like when I got my first computer. :drooling out of stupidity:

So Bash is like command prompt? How do I get/access Bash? Is that what I need to do to do what they are talking about?

-SnowFire

Yes. Everything they talk about is entered into the Linux equivalent of the Command Prompt in windows. (Linux pros, I'm aware that sentence is wrong on so many levels, forgive me.)

You should have an option in your main menu, and some versions, you can open a 'command line emulator' at the bottom of your Windows X system, if you are in fact running that GUI.

Anything else and i can't really help you i'm afraid. You need to command prompt to use linux, so get comfortable with it.

-Dave

So I am using Konsole. Thats about as far as I got. lol I don't know what the heck I am doing. When I try to mount the image off of the CD it comes up with...

mount: special device /dev/hdc does not exist

...So what do I do to make it work? I think that link says how to fix it, but I don't understand what I am supposed to do to do that.

-SnowFire

You might need to be ROOT user to mount a disk. I don't think you do, but that's possible.

If you're using the Konsole then i think you're probably using the BASH shell; the only distro i know about that doesn't use BASH is Scientific Linux, which in some distros seems to have CSHELL instead.

Stick with BASH.

Anyway, with your problem...you need to create a folder under /dev/hdc.

Something important to remember in linux is that / in a directory is equivalent to C:/ in windows. So Although you're on the desktop in Windows, you're running it from C:/Settings/My docs/Desktop or whatever. In Linux, this directory is propbably /users/Snowfire. It's not like saying 'open users from current location, then Snowfire within it.' It's saying explicitly, C:/users/Snowfire. Although in Linux drives are inherintly abstract and don't quit work in the same manner.

Another important one is ~. This refers to your 'My Documents' in linux.

Your home directory is therefore ~/.

So to change directory to ROOT:
    Code:
    cd /
    And to change to your home:
    Code:
    cd ~/
    Working through these ideas will help you see what's going on. Also, try using
    Code:
    ls -al
    to see more information about your files, including read and write permissions and hidden files.

-Dave

Okay, lets just take this step by step. lol

Anyway, with your problem...you need to create a folder under /dev/hdc.
    How do I do that? /dev/hdc doesn't exist?

-SnowFire