Thread: Decoupage PC

Anodized

Default Decoupage PC

Well, even though I haven't done any kind of significant mod, my wife may actually be the first in my family to have one posted here. The other day I gave her free reign to do whatever kind of external makeover she wants to her computer. Considering that she is the "crafty" sort, I suggested that she decoupage the case. Her eyes lit up with that. So, if and when she finishes, I'll be sure to post some pics.
    [_]) javafiend
    da j-o-b blocked photobucket

Default Re: Decoupage PC

I have no idea what Decoupage is. I googled it and i'm still having trouble understanding the concept. Is it basically like permanent gift wrap?

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Anodized

I'm kinda foggy on what it is, but I think it's like taking bits of paper or pictures from magazines or whatever and using a special glue to cover an object with it. Kind of like a collage, I think.

Edit::

Found this on Wikipedia

Decoupage (or découpage) is the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cut outs onto it in combination with special paint effects, gold leaf, etc. Commonly an object like a small box or an item of furniture is covered by cutouts from magazines or from purpose-manufactured papers. Each layer is sealed with varnishes (often multiple coats) until the "stuck on" appearance disappears and the result looks like painting or inlay work. The traditional technique used 30-40 layers of varnish which were then sanded to a polished finish. This was known in 18th century England as The Art of Japanning after its presumed origins.

There are many variants on the traditional technique involving purpose made 'glue' requiring fewer layers (often 5 or 6, depending on the amount of paper involved). Cutouts are also applied under glass or raised to give a three dimensional appearance according to the desire of the decouper. Currently decoupage is a popular handicraft.
    Last edited by javafiend; 04-24-2007 at 09:01 AM. Reason: better info found
    [_]) javafiend
    da j-o-b blocked photobucket

Sounds time consuming.

Can't wait to see how that turns out.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!