Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server Software...

Default Server Software...

Soon I might get a new PC. And I was thinking of using the old one as a web server. If I did, what would be the best software/OS for a personal web server?
    Im Back Baby!
    Yeah, I just quoted Bender Bending Rodriguez, got a problem?

Default Re: Server Software...

You got a lot of choices, but most people, me included, would recommend what's called a LAMP setup.

That's Linux, (any distro really) Apache, MySQL, and PHP.

You can actually get complete LAMP packages that are pretty much just 'plug and play', but sometimes that's a bitch on Linux.

On the other hand, you can also get WAMP, which is the same but for windows. Being honest though, you're a lot better with Linux, and most of the applications are tailored to be most effective in a command driven interface.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

LAMP is always the better option, but if you don't know what your doing it can be easier to use windows, theres loads of apps out there,

Such as Bullet FTP, but all the good ones for windows you have to pay for. Or just get a hosting package, i pay £5 a month for 2gb spacew, 10gb bandwidth, FTP, Mail with pop, control panel, ASP, PHP, MySQL, Frontpage and a help desk thats always manned.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Thnx for the help guys! With LAMP, can you have a Dynamic HTML Editor? doesn't really make a difference, just wondering...
    Im Back Baby!
    Yeah, I just quoted Bender Bending Rodriguez, got a problem?

You would actually being composing the websites on a different computer, and transferring them to the server via FTP (or at least that's what's most common.. I think) so you could have your editor on a different box and use that. And by dynamic, do you mean Dreamweaver-esqe, or just that it will highlight certain things and indent for you?
    RIP Bucko

You can get Apache for windows. Set it up with ftp or a LAN. You can run virtually any web based program's ASP, XML, Front Page, FTP, CGI, PHP, ect, ect, ect...

Its probly your best bet if you allready have windows installed.

It runs as a background task in the task tray and lets you use the computer as a computer if you wish.

[edit] Search for a pre compiled version. The apache website only has source code which you have to compile yourself.

I have Apache 1.13 executable if you cant find a current 2.2.4 version.

[edit # 2]
    Found it! http://win6.jp/Apache22/index.html You allso have to download the runtime library.

[edit #3]
    Apparently you need visual studio to compile that pre-compiled version... odd. I guess no one has made an executable version 2.2.4

Again, i have 1.13 that i used for quite some time. PM me and i'll give ya a copy. It should still accomplish everything you'd need for a private server.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

also the great thing is that there is tons of support for LAMP rigs on the net and also in big fat linux books if you dont mind paying £15 for it.

but the best way as every one else has said is proplay LAMP if you dont mind getting your hands dirty

i have one or two linux book with me what discuss LAMP and the general running of linux if you would like the ISBN numbers i would be more then happy

si-skyline

I'm running both setups.. LAMP (Fedora Core6)and WAMP (Server2003). I like the LAMP better because it's more fun to play with.

I will find the link, but there is a lamp distro, that is setup and working right after the install. The only thing you have to do is drop in your web pages and restart apache. It is running a trimmed down version of fedora core 6, with a trimmed out kernel for speed. Give me a little bit to find it again. (we investigated using it as the distro for a turn key product)

Here is a tutorial based on CentOS (which is based on fedora core);
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.3

(still looking for the link turn key link)

Here are a few, but not the one I was looking for;
    http://canned-os.blogspot.com/2006/1...nough-for.html
    http://debcentral.org/modules/news/a...hp?storyid=406

still looking...
    Last edited by Airbozo; 05-09-2007 at 03:44 PM.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

By personal, do you mean that you can only access it from your house or do you want other people to be able to access it via the internet?

LAMP is the best choice, and if Airbozo has a program that's drag and drop webhost, use that.