Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Troubleshooting help guys

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

Default Need Troubleshooting help guys

Hello guys im working on my father in laws pc the keyboard and mouse ports went out .
    Well i worked with it a while and to the bes t i can tell there shot i reset bios
    tried other keyboards and mice nothing helped so i got a usb mouse keyboard they work fine so i did a fres h windows install updated it now he has the exzact same isp i do well he said the internet didnt work brought it back to my house works fine will not work at his i took my laptop it gets on the internet fine at his house his pc works fine at my hosue now he say whe nhe tries to star the internet the computer locks he has to turn it off back on if he leaves if he dosent connect to the internet it does fine never locks up clicks internet boom locks my laptop works fine at his house his comp works fine here i just dont get .

Default Re: Need Troubleshooting help guys

hmm... that is weird... what kind of internet is it? cable/dsl? have you tried using a different web browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Had a similar one myself recently. My mother's pc was running slow as hell at her place, brought it to mine and it was fine - cleaned it up anyway while I had it - took it back - same deal - slow as hell - took home again, full wipe n reinstall - flying machine again - took it back to hers and snail-style again.

I replaced the USB cable she uses to connect her printer to the PC and eureka - flying machine in both houses. I can only assume the cable was the problem because changing it was the only thing that fixed it. I still have NO clue why or how it COULD be the USB cable, especially as it didn't matter if the printer was on or not...

As for the PS2 ports - thats a real bad sign - motherboard hardware fault etc. One of two possibilities - the solder points on the PS2 stack are broken - probably the earth if they both went at once, or it's the southbridge chip on it's way out - means LAN, audio, drives etc are likely to follow - no way of knowing when - I have a PC with a dead PS2 port which has been working fine for over a year with USB peripherals - had another one with a similar fault went totally FUBAR a week after the PS2 ports went...

One other possibility for the internet issue is a DHCP issue. It requires quite a few things to be in line for it to be the issue but....

If...
    1) His PC is set up to automatically get IP and DNS/WINS from server (router/modem) - standard windows settings, in other words.
    2) Your laptop has an alternate static IP/DNS config in place or is set up with a static IP/DNS setup which just happens to tie in with his modem/router (same first 3 groups eg 192.168.0.???).
    3) His router/modem has faulty DHCP/DHCP turned off
    4) Your router/modem has DHCP on

That'd explain the connectivity issues - Your laptop would work at his because it has static IP settings which tie in with his router - his PC wouldn't work at his place because its set up to get IP from router - and his pc would work at your because your router would give it an IP address.

Pretty far fetched - but I had a customer in a very similar situation once - took me a week to figure it out lol

EDIT: just had another thought - does your laptop have some kind of DNS software on it to make it use a specific DNS server instead of just getting it by DHCP as usual - that could also explain why it works at his and his doesn't - if his modem/router is failing to get DNS info/provide it to the client pc

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

goat its dsl

Hey slaveofconvention thanks as far as i know my laptop dosent have any special dns software i went through the ethernet port at his house on my laptop which they had jsut set his he has same intenet service as i do and they just have set his up ours is a modem\router that the lock you out of it so we cant check anything .

1 yes his is at standard automatically get IP and DNS/WINS .
    my internet protocol 6 and 4 are all set to automatic is thats what your talking about im learning here because
    i have never really had this problem lol.
    3 and 4 i will get in contact with the isp next week and try to get see how they have his setup

If your laptop is set up to automatically get IP address etc from router, and you don't have any specific DNS software or settings on your laptop - his internet connection isn't going to be the problem. It has to be something in the settings on his PC - as for what, I don't know. Sorry

I don't know if you got it worked out yet...but if you can log into the modem to configure it, take screen shots of its settings and save em then reset the modem to factory default settings. If that doesn't work, reenter the settings/info into the config screen and try it again. If it still doesn't work, call up the ISP and tell them your kid (hooray for scapegoats! don't tell them I told you to do it) accidentally reset the modem and now it doesn't work. They should be able to give you all the correct info/settings.

Another thought, is there a router between the modem and computer? If so, take that out of the equation for a try. Good luck.

slaveofconvention had some great ideas but they seem to be not relevant for your problems since you totally reloaded the computer. It might be a driver problem. The NIC you installed might be the Microsoft version of the driver. Microsoft's drivers don't always work well. If it isn't that, I would say do a reset on the router. Not the reset button on the back, unplug it for 5 seconds then plug it back in. That will do a quick reset. If that doesn't work, you may have to do a 20-30 second restart of the router. Unplug the power for 20-30 seconds then plug it back in. Worse case senario, you may have to use the reset button on the back. It is a small pin hole with a recessed button on the back.

It had something to do with his phone when he unhooked his phone it worked fine he got another phone now all is well . Thanks for all the tips guys will help in the future .

ahh. shoulda thought of that ive had issues with dsl and phones not playing nice before. :S sorry haha glad you figured it out though!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Sounds like he needs some ADSL filters (or whatever they're called on that side of the pond)