Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Graphics - Query

Fresh Paint

Default Case Graphics - Query

I want to incorporate some graphics that I would be printing into my future case mod. (still in planning stages)

So I have been researching method for transfering a digital image into something on the side of my case.... I want some opinions if anyone has them on:

Vinyl Printer Paper - You print onto this paper and then it is a vinyl you peel and stick .

Waterslide paper - you print onto this paper and then you waterslide the design off onto your project (mostly used in model making, EX:aircraft model decals)

Both of the above can be found at.. http://www.papilio.com/

Other - other ways I haven't found yet.

Opinions , experiene with them, etc. would be helpful.. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Case Graphics - Query

I'd go for the vinyl myself. Although i havn't got any experience with them.

You could always airbrush them.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Rankenphile

One thing to keep in mind with waterslide paper is that if you go with the transparent type, there will be no "white", and the print will be semi-transparent, so the background color will act as the whitepoint for your colors and cause shifting - if you were to apply it to a blue case, the yellows will appear greenish, the reds will turn purple, and the blues may well disappear. I would also recommend using a laser color printer for this, if you can find one you can use (many retail print shops wouldn't let you use your own stock for their machines if it is a specialty stock like this, as there is a good chance that it can do serious damage to the machine).

As far as vinyl paper, I don't know of many that you can use yourself that give good results. I'm not a fan of inkjet printers when it comes to applications like this, as they are anything but permanent. I would recommend talking to your local sign shop or printer to find a good solution that might work, if you are looking to use your own graphics for this. There are a number of places online you can find that can do this. They frequently market the service under the term "Case Wraps" or something similar. I like MAME Marquees as their prices are good, although they are not specifically for computer cases, but their product and prices are very reasonable.

Fresh Paint

i'm a designer at a sign manufacturing company and we do alot with digital graphics printed on vinyl. we outsource our digital prints (logos, billboards, etc.) to www.infinitegraphics.com. one thing to consider if you go this route is translucent or opaque vinyl. if you are going to apply it to aluminum i would go with the opaque. it might look cool to use translucent vinyl and backlight your graphics too. hope that helps

There's nothing wrong with using the vinyl so long as after you apply it you clearcoat it. That will prevent the print from fading or rubbing off and so forth. It works just fine, I've used it. Although nothing beats the look of a nice airbrush paintjob.

Fresh Paint

hay guys i have 100 watt laser
    max print size 48" x 72"

Cutting & Marking or Engraving:
    Fabric & Leather
    Paper & Cardboard
    Plastic (sheet, film & molded)
    Rubber (natural, synthetic & foam)
    Wood send any pic's
    or CAD files to my
    email with the size of
    your case in inches
    and what Materials you like
    and ring you up a cost
    ex(my case cost me $40 in plexiglass
    and $2 an gas) send it to sonyjoey161@sbcglobal.net
    put in zip for shiping

tech-4-less
    to get more tech 4 less

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the info everyone. The only thing that made me leary of trying the local sign shop/printer shop was the legality of printing the image. Sure I will be doing all the graphic manipulation to composite all the source images, BUT the source images certainly aren't mine. Though I would certainly say they are in the public domain, and cerainly they are for my own personal use, so technically I donot think I am breaking any copywrite laws, but I know print shops can be pretty sticklers for this kind of thing. Even if you are making but one print.

The basic idea was a Jedi based case but the sabers would actually be either (hadn't decided yet) el wire or cut outs with flourescents behind them.

Those would be the side panels, then the front/top would be covered in either a death star surface like treatment, or maybe simply a light saber hilt mounted on the front. All the openings(air/cd/etc) in the sides and front would be stealthed as much as possible.

So you see it would be pretty obvious when i go to get the images printed that they are not mine.

If it's for your own use, there's no legal problems with you doing that at all. You can print out whatever you want and slap it on your case.

Something else to look into, there are places that print case skins, they're designed specifically for things like this. Do a google search for case skins, you'll find several, some of them might even have pre-made skins that fit your needs but most of them will do custom skins.

Fresh Paint

looks like the commercially available case skins are simply adhesive backed vinyl. So Its probably cheaper if I look for a sign shop that can do me one in the size I need. or heck maybe Ill just try the vinyl do it yourself kit......

Rankenphile

As far as legality goes, the reason print shops are wary of printing graphics with copyrighted imagery is that they are charging for printing of someone else's art without the artist receiving due compensation. I worked in a retail print shop for many years, and this came up a lot, frequently with people stmoping out. For the most part, it was for making copies of professional portraits - they make their money on reprints, and copy shops and such take a big bite out of their revenue stream. For something like this you should have no problem. If they do give you a hard time about it, explain what it is used for, and "forget" to mention that pictures of it will appear on the internet. This is personal use, and is just fine.