Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 547

Thread: Project Stealthlow

  1. #281
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Got the package from Nils & from KustomPC but they ran out of black molex wire & spade connectors for the vandal switches so thats on back order.

    Just need to find the bunch of ac ryan molex pass through adaptors I have laying around somewhere but in fear of not being able to find them I made an order from America (performance-pcs) as that was the only place I know that sells them now which is odd as they are awesome molex pass through plugs, I chose the ceapest delivery option so might take some time for them to arrive.

    The 9 fan splitter cable is perfect for what I have planned with it & it looks to me like it uses MDPC sleeving too which really surprised me.


    This shot shows the fan splitter next to MDPC sleeving, I'd say it's the same stuff but for taking a wider load.




    A few of the sample pieces I have & the red seems to glow I'm already looking forward to doing a multi coloured sleeving job some time in the future .


    Load of female ATX crimp pins & fan crimp pins .


    Load of fan plugs.


    Lian-Li wire kit as I'm sick of not having printed mobo headers for my switches lol & also a psu tester which will be very handy for testing fans/lights but I got this one for using on the stack unit to replace the paper clip I use on it .


    And here is a shot of a very rough idea of what I'll be doing with the fan splitter.


    So back I go to finish all the sleeving if possible & I won't do another update on the sleeving until it's complete .

  2. #282
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Wow that was a needed change of modding .

    I found the sata power pass through holes weren't quite big enough so had to make them bigger, also not pictured here I added 2 10mm countersunk pass through holes for fans close to the corner & also made a mount for an ssd aligned to do another sata power cable that powers the ssd & optical, the cable for that will be extremely short , still need to mod the angle & square bar in the bottom to allow fan cables to go underneath the hdd cages.






    The ssd mount is just a small piece of 10mm flat bar that mounts the ssd & a 20mm flat bar that connects to the 10mm one & screws into the panel by 1 bolt, nice & simple .

    Also made the mobo panel power pass through holes bigger since I'm using extenders for those.

    So now I can continue with the sleeving honestly can't wait until I complete the sleeving .

  3. #283
    Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Nice SSD mount. I love the simplicity.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

  4. #284
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Nice SSD mount. I love the simplicity.
    Thanks 88 .

    Just finished all the sata power cables & got some pics of it all including the floating ssd been doing very well at using up the waste sleeving, sorry about the poor quality pics but I'll make up for that when it's all completed .

    Oh yeah & so much for no more updates until I finish the sleeving, I'm in a habit of updating as I make progress .












  5. #285
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    OK Partial update lol

    This shows why I went & had a go at making the sleeved ATX extender become the main ATX cable, it was silly long lol .


    Tested out crimping onto 2 wires & to be honest it went fine.


    And was also able to plug it with sleeving in the socket.


    Snipped all the ends off the extender end I didn't need.


    Started on making the 4 dual wires, I used wire strippers near the end of the wire to create an opening where I could join a 2nd wire.


    2nd Wire tristed around nice & tight & knotted.


    Cut the pre sized heatshrinks in half & applied over the wire.


    Covered it completely.


    And here with sleeving & heatshrink on & crimped ready for installing to the corsair cable & to merge the custom cable to the thoroughly awkward corsair dual socket.


    Then the rest well....

    I need a new replacement corsair AX850 ATX cable as I took the wires out of the wrong end & yes I didn't just take 1 out, I took 12 out without realising I was focusing on the wrong end so I don't know where the heck to put the new wires so I emailed corsair explaining my situation & hopefully they'll help me out on this & soon, I don't expect it for free but I just hope they can help.

  6. #286
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    An awesome chap on another forum made a diagram of where the wires go on this AX850 psu & shared it with me so saved me having to wait for corsair to help out which was a huge relief .

    Well I completely ran out of heat shrink after completing the main ATX cable d'oh so yeah to keep the sleeving of a consistant quality I had to make an order just for heat shrink but at least this time I will be able to dedicate a good chunk of the week to getting started on the windows , I'd expect any future efforts for doing a sleeving job I'll only need to do the 1 order .

    Here is the atx cable , not as neat as an extender as wires cross all over the thing with it having 3 ends but I'll have no clutter around the psu now .







  7. #287
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    I got back to the fabrication side of things since I can't do any more sleeving until I get the extra heatshrink & wow I really thought this would take a bit longer to do but I breezed through all the windows in a few hours & only a few of them needed a tiny bit of filing to fit in lol but it looks like the alu needs giving a nice finish again & the edges of the acrylic still need sanding so they are nice & smooth which should keep me busy for tomorrow .

    Of course I'd love to rip the protective backing off to show it off good but I want to keep it all perfect for when the time is right .

    So I thought about reducing the scuffs the jigsaw leaves by covering the base of it with masking tape, it worked .


    Here is the 1000mm x 500mm x 3mm light tint acrylic ready marked, was nice & simple to do, just plonked the side panels on & traced around the holes.


    First panel done.


    Both panels done.




    At this rate if I go & buy a bunch of clamps this week some time I could do the acrylic curve this week also but I still need to add sata data pass through holes on the motherboard tray.

  8. #288
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Here is a sample of the light tint acrylic stuck to the 2mm clear acrylic, can't say I'm impressed really but maybe it would look better than bolts especially if I only used a faint blob on the edges of the ends of the windows, other option would be to make sure it all gets an even coat of the adhesive so it's all uniform.



  9. #289
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Well I'm very eager to get these windows stuck but I'm gonna have to wait for the glue syringes to arrive so I can apply it better, dunking something in the glue & trying to apply it is just not gonna happen as it leaves a trail of adhesive & makes applying it a nightmare lol so instead took a few more pics of the side panel & 1 piece peeled back a bit as a teaser lol & it's in the best lighting possible broad daylight.









    Hopefully I'll be able to continue really soon .

    Nearly forgot to add the following.
    Going off the testing I just done though I'll go with applying a tiny blob of the adhesive to both ends & the middle to fix the windows to a 1 piece clear acrylic internal panel that bolts on from the outside, it will give a slight imperfection to the windows but it'll look better than bolts I think .

  10. #290
    Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Mmm, that should look nice.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •