Thread: Wire brushes for Dremels...

ATX Mental Case RogueOpportunist's Avatar

Default Wire brushes for Dremels...

Does anyone have an experience or tips with how to use/get some of those little wire brush bits for Dremel's that don't fly apart after 30 seconds of use?

I have some metal accent "bits" for a project I need to strip the surface layer off of and those wire brushes would work perfect If I could get more than 30 seconds of use out of them before all the wires all break away and fly off into my arms and face.

These are the kind I've been using thus far...

... and they fall apart soooo easily it is ridiculous, anyone have any better suggestions? The brush needs to be somewhat "soft" (well soft for a wire brush anyways) as I don't want it to "etch" the metal too severely.

Default Re: Wire brushes for Dremels...

Harbor Freight has pretty good brass bristle ones. Plus, they're cheap to boot.

If you bung it all the way up to max, though, it will fling those bristles at you. Don't try turning them as high.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

IDK what exactly you're using them for, but you could also try sanding flap-wheels.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Yeah the flap wheels wouldn't work, those are what I've been using for large flat things but these are smaller more intricate "detail" type pieces with little holes and grooves that I need the bristles to get down into... I'm gonna try slowing the rotary tool right down to the lowest to see if that helps any.

Here is the Dremel RPM guide for brushes.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../r02798v22.jpg

My opinion has always been that less isn't more, more is more. If my Dremel shows that it doesn't like what is going on I step up to a 1/4" collet die grinder. Pneumatic, or electric. The 1/4" collet tools are a great size that is controllable enough for detailed stuff, but still have enough balls to get the job done in a timely manner.

The second I got this through my head, Dremel products started lasting much longer in my care. Haha.

What material are you working with, and what are you removing? Maybe there is a better option.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

I'm trying to remove the "antique"-ish paint on some brass plated buttons, after chewing through all the brush bits that came with the "assorted" bit kit I had I found one last wire brush that I think came with the rotary tool itself, that wire brush not only didn't fall a part in 30 seconds but it completed everything I needed and still has all its bristles.

I think this was more an issue of "quality" as opposed to how I was trying to use them because even at the lowest speed setting those other brush bits would just spit bristles as soon as they touched anything.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

If you have occasion to do something similar again, try soaking the buttons in vinegar for a few hours first. That should eat away at the paint a bit and make it easier to brush off the residue.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV