Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Truly sorry to hear about your mum.
    TheMainMan

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Truly sorry to hear about your mum.
    Ah sorry for sharing that grim news but thanks TMM I deleted it out of the post as I probably will most of this bit later on if I'm not too drunk after the wake & wow I'll get drunk real easy with me not being a drinker any more, nearly posted about it a while ago when she was told a couple days left but left it out & carried on modding & visiting, guess it's with me being really dedicated to completing this project asap why I mentioned it, once I complete this project I'll get my fitness right back up as I've replaced excercise with modding since November last year & really see modding as a great use of excess energy unlike feeling like a gerbal on a wheel, I had side bellys before starting this mod & now they are virtually gone with all the elbow polish I've been putting in lol I want a rowing machine that can generate enough electricity to power my gaming pc, now that would make awesome sense to get some exercise, must invent it some how .

I've never seen a dead body before yet alone watch someone take their last breaths, I would say she went out peaceful & she did appear to do so but about 1 minute before she went her eyes opened up looking alert & focused but straight ahead for about 30 seconds, kinda disturbed me a little then they closed & not long after nothing not exactly a good memory to remember of her but doubt I'll ever forget it, I like to think she seen a crazy looking tour guide that appears scary at first but is actually an incredibly nice being that guides you to the next stage either that or just like a nice infinitely long peaceful sleep free of thought.

But please anyone else try & forget about me mentioning it, was a mistake sharing the news, I feel better just keeping the project going, I guess I've been wanting to let some kind of emotion out for the past 5 weeks, but I think I'm lucky I got to 33 really with both parents so got to know them well.

So back to the project log, keep the face or not lol & what do you think of the vents if I go CNC, a first for me but thought why the heck not since I'd be getting it thermo formed & they do CNC also.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I think that the vents would break up the vast expanse of plastic well. Having just the text would seem out of place without some design around it in my opinion. As long as the price is right, I say go for it.
    TheMainMan

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    I think that the vents would break up the vast expanse of plastic well. Having just the text would seem out of place without some design around it in my opinion. As long as the price is right, I say go for it.
    Yeah I think your right mate, just need to see what kind of price they say for the 156mm x roughly 750mm piece.

Just seen the funeral though & got back from the wake & I am soooooooo utterly mashed I was getting given tripple shots of whisky & was knocking them back & had countless pints of guiness all day & I very rarely drink, tomorrow is gonna be a naaassstyyy hangover I think, I feel like garbage already should have stuck with good old coffee for the wonderful level headedness, it's amazing I'm capable of typing this really right now.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your mom. She sounds like she was a great person. Like I say; mourn the death, but celebrate the life. Sounds like you've got that well covered.

The new panel looks good too. It's a shame you have to resort to getting someone else to fab it though, just because everything else in this case you've done 100% from stock materials to finish.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mom. She sounds like she was a great person. Like I say; mourn the death, but celebrate the life. Sounds like you've got that well covered.

The new panel looks good too. It's a shame you have to resort to getting someone else to fab it though, just because everything else in this case you've done 100% from stock materials to finish.
    Thanks 88 lol can't believe how wasted I got yesterday luckily no hangover though just felt a tiny bit rough, sorted now though .

Yeah thats right about it'd be a shame to go to a pro to get it done but as I thought the cost has scared me away from the idea .

Just got the price quote from the plastics shop.

Price for moulding tool £67.20 vat included
    Price for each piece £43.20 vat included
    Delivery £14.40 vat included

So for 1 piece say will be £124.80 & I think this is without vents being put in & to have a spare window it would be £168.

Soooo, 4 more clamps £24 -- a new sheet of acrylic for 3 more attempts £15 = £39 diy leaving more than enough change for a diy powder coating setup.

Or

2440mm x 1220mm x 25mm mdf sheet £25 which I'm unsure of how I'd get it here unless I can get b&q to cut it into smaller pieces for easy transport, cutout the shape of curve 7 times, jam them together, put the sheet of acrylic on a flat surface, use a secondary heat gun (dual wielding ) to get the whole sheet easily formable, then some how move the really softened acrylic to the shaped jig & use the trimmed away jigs as a pressing tool & this should do a perfect thermo form diy for a little more than the clamping method.

Either way DIY window is definitely back in the house .

Yeah mdf is the way I'll go, it's totally possible to get the oven style with heat guns I tested it out on a piece & was able to bend it any way I wanted with ease, ideally though I'll need to put something on the edges of the mdf to keep it from marking the acrylic so possibly tin foil completely smoothed out, I'd also need to put some kind of guide lines in place so it goes precisely & straight.

Revised clamping jig with excess length on both ends & for a precautionary backup plan if needed I'm getting some polycarbonate too which is tougher & more formable, when I go at it next time I'm getting it done at last .

So just ordered more tinted acrylic & a sheet of polycarbonate, no idea when I'll receive it with all the bank holiday madness at the moment.

The plan is to heat the sheet up on a flat surface so it's droopy, then place it on the bending jig & clamp it down & let it cool, I'll put guide lines so I put it on straight, I'll have to put something on the edges of the mdf so it doesn't mark the acrylic, tips on what to put on the edge of the mdf anyone?.

Still though I'm not 100% sure an mdf jig is necessary, if I bought 4 more clamps & used full length sheets of aluminium I think I could get a perfect result, it came very close when I did my last try & it also had no warping, I do think I'd benefit from using 2 heat guns also.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Still though I'm not 100% sure an mdf jig is necessary, if I bought 4 more clamps & used full length sheets of aluminium I think I could get a perfect result, it came very close when I did my last try & it also had no warping, I do think I'd benefit from using 2 heat guns also.
    Might I suggest using the aluminum inside the mdf. Just my 2 bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Might I suggest using the aluminum inside the mdf. Just my 2 bits.
    Yeah I'll try that , I'll be in for a fair wait for the new acrylic so I'll straigten out some of the failed ones & have a good practice to see what gives the best results, might be able to get the mdf today.