Thread: Dinosaur laptop....

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Dinosaur laptop....

I've got this ancient Texas Instruments laptop that I obviously never use, and was wondering what I could do with it. It still works like a charm, but it is so old that it proudly displays on the case that it's in color. Running Windows 3.1, has a trackball with a propietary connection, and does not have a CD-rom (though it may be possible to attach one through the parallel port). I love the keyboard, soft touch and very quiet, and the case itself is very sturdy.

Anyone have any interesting ideas to do with this fossil? Or should I donate it to the Smithsonian perhaps?
    ________
    CANCER - LUNG ADVICE
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Official Wallabies Supporter Pointy_Stick's Avatar

Default Re: Dinosaur laptop....

Since its a dinosaur, definitely a dino-themed mod. Plenty of bone/skeleton showing through, dinosaur scale-like skin, some teeth maybe and so on, like Crimson's Alien Fossil Mouse(couldn't find it on TBCS, link?)
    Or maybe make it look like it belonged to Jurassic Park, like this. I think either of those would look absolutely killer.
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3152/siguf0.jpg

Interesting. Obviously I would want to update the hardware, but keep the ancient case. Never even opened a laptop, could be interesting. Obviously anything I do to it will have to be custom-made, but that's what modding is all about.
    ________
    MERCEDES-BENZ GLK-CLASS
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Laptop parts are pricey!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Laptop parts are pricey!
    Well, then I should probably be considering turning it into something other than a computer....... Hmmmmmmmmm
    ________
    Vapor Genie Vaporizer
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:31 PM.

well, you said it still works well. have you thought about leaving it more or less as-is internally and running a nice small-footprint linux (like puppy, or maybe PCLinuxOS 2008 Minime). I discovered that running a low powered OS on my old desktop (running puppy now, working on a shaved-down Ubuntu) has brought new life to the old bugger, making it usefull for practically anything that isn't graphics intensive. i'm working on making it a sort of media server/thing-my-small-children-can-use-to-surf-and-play-games-through-the-TV (hereafter to be known as the MS/TMSCCUTS&PGTTTV PC), and it looks like it's going to work very nicely for that.
    my point is it can still be a viable compy for light duty tasks with some adjustments while looking good with a custom case!

You got pics of this beast?
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy