Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highrise

Default Highrise

Project: Highrise

This started out as a NEC Ready case. The case was originally for an LPX form factor. I am converting it to ATX. The NEC Ready was poorly designed but I like the case style. In my modifications I am turning the case upside down. I named the project as the front somewhat looks like a highrise building.

This first post will be updated regularly and contains a current picture of the project and my budget on the project. My second post will be the start of the actual project log.

Budget & Parts List:
    $0.00___NEC Ready Case already had
    $0.00___Total Project Cost
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Default Re: Highrise

Allright Here I present you with my first (in my opinion) major case mod.

I am starting with what remains of a NEC Ready that was given to me years ago. The computer never worked great, hence why it was free in the first place. I ended up gutting it and throwing out everything even the cover for the case. I had been using it as a coffee table in my basement chill area for a while. I had attempted to throw it out several times but never actually did. I like the look of the front panel so I decided to mod it.

Here is the case when I started:

I though about what I could do to the case. Because I got rid of the cover I decided to make new side panels out of smoked plexi. I also decided to flip the case upside-down. I know the question is going to come up about having the drive bays at the bottom but the intent is for the case to be placed on top of the desk not on the floor. I just like the look of the front panel upside down. I think it kinda looks like a tall building, hence the name Highrise.

This will be the new top note the removable cover, this will be taken out and covered with plexi. The hole there was originally used to remove the add-on cards as they went into a riser card.

My plan is to use this computer for video editing not that that really effects the casee too-much right now.

Right now I have the chassis stripped down as much as possible:

One if the important things to note about the case is that the form factor was LPX so I need to covert it to ATX. I have started to mock up the back panel layout so you can see my thoughts on positioning the motherboard and PSU. I am considering two layouts.
    Here is the first layout:

I would prefer this layout but the drawbacks are I would need t move the PSU to access the add-on cards, which doesn't bother me that much. My main concern is how much clearance I should have about the riser cards. As is just clears the card but if any one card were extra tall than it would not clear.

And here is the second layout:

I would move the motherboard closer to the top. I am not sure how well the PSU clears the Processor, in actuallity I would only have about 1/2" where the PSU overlaps the motherboard.

The original HDs mounted on the top of the case, now the bottom, If I place the PSU in the first position this is where I will mount the new HD except with spacers underneath for airflow/cooling.

I also took some shots next to one of my oversized Gateway 6400 Servers to see the size comaparson of the chassis.

Inside I placed another LPX motherboard I still have to show how it fit in the case:

If I could get others opinions for the PSU/Motherboard positions that would help before I move on. I am open to other suggestions. I plan on getting removable ATX motherboard tray and repacle the current tray/backpanel. If anyone has a spare ATX motherboard tray they want to sell me PM me.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

None of the pictures work.

They do now, I forgot to copy the links.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Update. It has been a while since I worked on this. I am going slowly as I want this to turn out really well.

I had an idea for mounting the PSU on top of the case. I decided to mock it up and see what it looks like. My mock ups are created from some cardboard and hot glue. I first constructed a box that is the exact dimensions of an ATX PSU:

An ATX PSU is almost the width of the removable panel on the top (former bottom) of the case:

I then created a model of my idea that would be a removable section on top of the case. The rear section would hold the PSU and the front opening would be for a 120mm fan to vent out of the case.

I would cover the openings with mesh panel for airflow. Here I mocked up white paper to simulate the location of the mesh:

After seeing my mock up I decided I don't like this idea. The pyramidal look of the top section does not go well with the look of the front panel which is my inspiration for the case to start with. Right now I am thinking of mounting the PSU in the huge space above the front drive cages. I may use a similar removable top idea except significantly smaller on the top with 2 120mm fans and front I/O ports.

I am still in need of a ATX motherboard tray, which is the main reason I have delayed this project.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Need a mobo tray
    buy a really cheap ATX case and salvage the parts. or u can go to an electronics recycling center and go parts hunting...

What I'd do is make a seperate box slightly bigger to house the PSU and perhaps other equipment UNDER the existing upsided-down tower.

I personally like it on top of the case. It's a pretty cool design. Though, I don't like how it connects to the front bezel. If the front bezel connected straight up without having the little step before it kept getting taller, it would be awesome (if you understood that, my wording was odd).
    RIP Bucko

So is the case going to be made to look like a highrise? If so, I love it!

You can buy replacement Lian-Li motherboard trays from Performance-PCs.com I believe.
    mellojoe

The Rig with Images
    AMD Thunderbird 1.4GHz on an Abit KT7A: [1507]
    168-Pin PC133 SDRAM: [896MB]
    Radeon 9500-Pro: [128MB]
    Logitec z560 4.1 THX: [400W]
    Lite-On DVD: [16X]
    Antec TrueBlue: [480W]
    ...to name a few