Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Framed

Default Framed

Project: Framed

**Project has been cancelled**

This is a mod of an old Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop that I no longer use. I am modding the components into a picture frame. My inspiration for this project came from the Wooden On Wall PC: WWPC by [MadMan].

This first post will be updated regularly and contain a current picture of the project and my budget on the project. My next post will be the start of the actual project log.

Budget & Parts List:
    $0.00___Dell Inspiron 3000 already had
    $0.00___Total Project Cost
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Default Re: Framed

I have an old Dell Inspiron 300 laptop I no longer use, it has software issues so I cannot upgrade it to from Windows 95 to either Windows 2000 Professional or Linux. I don’t really care about upgrading that much except Windows 95 won’t work with the built in USB port or IR sensor (I don’t get why Dell released a laptop with hardware that it could not use). On that subject does anyone know of a patch or drivers to use USB and a USB thumb drive with Windows 95?

Anyway here is the laptop before I started:

Part of the reason I don’t use it is I stupidly ripped the flex cable for the monitor:

The motherboard has a port for an auxiliary monitor so this is not much of an issue. Although if someone knew of a place I could find a flex cable let me know.

I have stripped the case down and gutted all of the components:

Status LCD/Power Button/IR:

Mouse/System Speakers:

Processor is on an riser board:

Motherboard:

The empty case:

My plan is to build a box and install all of the components into it. I would then find a cheap picture frame so it would be a computer inside of a picture frame.
    I think I may be able to salvage the monitor backlight as it has it’s own cable for power which did not get ripped. I will investigate this later. If I can then I will use the light(s) to light up the case.
    I can completely remove the cover of the CD drive and replace it with a window. I want to do this but is there a radiation issue. I know you should not use a CD drive with the cover open but is it a light issue, Or will a plexiglass cover be enough?

Here I have mocked up the layout of all of the components:

The keyboard will be in the top left corner, the HD in the top right with the mouse over the HD. The system speakers will be above the HD or in bottom left. The CD drive is in the middle and opens in the empty space under the keyboard. The I/O ports would be accessed from the bottom.

I am not sure how I will use this computer. If I find a cheap 15” LCD I may put it in another picture frame and set up the computer to slideshow pictures.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Awesome.

Seems like a lot of fun.
    mellojoe

The Rig with Images
    AMD Thunderbird 1.4GHz on an Abit KT7A: [1507]
    168-Pin PC133 SDRAM: [896MB]
    Radeon 9500-Pro: [128MB]
    Logitec z560 4.1 THX: [400W]
    Lite-On DVD: [16X]
    Antec TrueBlue: [480W]
    ...to name a few

Hey I like this project. Laptops are fun to chop up! Are you gonna mount the touch pad too?
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Ah bugger.. I was gonna do the same thing. Ok, just to be clear, I'm not copying you! +rep for a great idea!

I say hit ebay for the replacement ribbon cable.

Are you going to be eliminating the hdd or cdrom for this project? I considered both, and going with a PXE image for a network boot. Sadly, wifi doesnt allow PXE, and the idea of a cat5 cable running to my picture frame on the wall doesnt work for me. So I'll likely keep the cdrom drive on mine, and boot it up to linux. No hdd means less weight, less heat, and less noise.

If you have a flickr account, you can get a screensaver that will pull images from your flickr account automatically, making for a picture frame to display your images and update automatically. Extra cool if you plan on giving it to someone. (My plan was for my parents)

I love the idea of keeping the speakers in it though! Use it to watch/listen to your media collection, the possibilities are endless.

*edit* One more though.. wireless keyboard/mouse would be good.. you can run most laptop boards without the kb or touchpad connected.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

You gave me the best idea for a web surfing computer ever!!!

TBCS - We stick big things in small containers
    My mods completed:Deranged Steel
    In the works: PCG3, S.A.C.

lolz lil tid bit of info.... they did release a win 95 edition with USB support.... same wit 98 also...
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Cool plan (I aint brave enuff to chop up a laptop) and lukifers ideas seem top notch.

I'd go with wireless k/b and mouse and a live linux jobbie (like knoppix). Proper lightweight.

mellojoe: Modding is fun, that's why I do it.

Crimson Sky: I am mounting the touchpad over the HD, to the right of the keyboard.

Lukifer122: Probably just going to use an external monitor. I am leaving both the HDD and CD-ROM. This computer has no LAN or WI-FI, it was built before internet was popular (1995?). I tried booting Linux from a live disk but no go. I will play more with software once I complete the new case. I want to keep the existing keyboard/trackpad to keep things simple. Also I am trying to use a limit budget if I can. Oh, and good luck with your version, post pics.

To everyone thank you for the positive feedback. I am away for a few days so no updates to the project itself.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Well.. it has a PCMCIA slot.. you could add either wifi or lan..

DSL (Damn Small linux) might be a good bet... I think the whole install is like 30mb..?

I guess I have to question why you would use an external monitor if you are mounting it into a picture frame..? I thought the point of the mod was to have a screen hanging on the wall?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro