Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Updated (Mac) Classic

Default An Updated (Mac) Classic

Project: An Updated (Mac) Classic

Introduction:

This is a casemod based on my first computer ever. The first computer I ever owned was this Macintosh Classic which was given to me by a neighbor. This was back in the late 1990s, most of my early computers were Macintosh machines from this era but this was the first. As such this is a special machine to me. Unfortunately it appears it will no longer boot, and even if it did it is too outdated to be useful for anything more than a decoration. I have no intention of hanging onto useless computer and as such I am getting rid of my entire mac collection. however I cant just get rid of MY FIRST COMPUTER EVER. So I must mod this into something useful! The project begins...

My intent with this project is to install modern hardware into this case. The plan is to get a microITX motherboard and mod this into a microITX case. I want to be able to upgrade to a more powerful mainboard in the future if at all possible. Love em or hate em the compact mac cases are rather iconic of the "personal computer" as such I wish to leave this as original looking as possible. That means no paint jobs, no case windows, no lights, no front I/O ports at all. Other than a few minor things I cant get around I wish for this to look as original on the outside as possible. The only changes will be I intend on using a LCD rather than a CRT for the display so the display portion of the machine will be flat rather than the rounded CRT, not sure how that will look but I cant avoid it. I may look into placing the LCD behind a piece of curved glass if i can find something suitable. I also refuse to use floppy drives so i intend to slightly widen the floppy slot on the front and use a slot load optical drive instead. I also plan on using one of these adaptors (link) so that I may use the original keyboard and mouse with this updated classic. I also want to mod special cables and ports so I can keep the back of the case looking stock as well although I'll get more into the plans for that in a later update.

Now I figure anyone reading this has probably gotten bored and needs more pictures.

First the computer as it is right now, I have not done anything to it yet:

As I stated earlier I intend on using an orignal keyboard and mouse with this:

I have two styles of Apple mice the newer rounder version I have seen pictured more with classics but I always used the older squared one, I'll hang onto both and decide which to use later:

Also for those curious here is basically my entire collection of apple hardware from that era (if anyone wants anything from the pile let me know most of it is going to the electronics recycle pile at the local dump soon):

Summary for those who are lazy:
    -This was my first computer ever
    -I am updating it with modern interals based around a microITX board
    -Will be keeping this as stock looking as possible on the outside
    -Plan on using original peripherals via an adaptor
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Default Re: An Updated (Mac) Classic

It looks like it should be a fun build. I like the idea. Will be watching!

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

awsome a retro mod!!!!! im interested
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Beats turning it into a MacQuarium, that's for sure.

The Classic was technically my first computer, too - we got it free in '99 or '00, during the five-flavor-iMac era, and it was too old at that point to find software for... it just sort of disappeared, but I'd like to get another one and do exactly what you're planning to do here. Very simple, elegant machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I was thinking about this just a couple weeks ago. I even called my Dad on the East Coast to see if he still had the old mac sitting in the storage locker still. I may still do this eventually but I'll change out the keyboard and mouse. Mac mice used to drive me crazy. Good luck with this.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

I've got a pallet of those i could sell you for 75$

a pallet

im talking 50-75 of those.

I use those at work to prob tables up.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    I've got a pallet of those i could sell you for 75$

a pallet

im talking 50-75 of those.

I use those at work to prob tables up.
    Have I mentioned lately that I want your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Thanks for the interest and support guys. And thanks for the offer Twiggsoffury but I dont need another 50+ of these.

The reason I am using the Apple computer is to complete the original look. The screen will be too small for me to possibly consider using regularly enough so any discomfort from the keyboard will not be a major issue. The machine will most likely end up as either some sort of server or a guest computer. Speaking of the keyboard I just purchased an adapter so I can use the ADB (apple desktop bus) keyboard with USB. That should be in sometime this week so I'll be able to start playing with that soon. I believe it shows up as a generic USB keyboard so I am hoping it will work in both linux and Vista.

I also had the though of possibly adding a SD card reader as i use those almost more than I do usb thumbdrives these days. My though was to add it where that weird lock slot is on the back of the mac. However I checked the size and this is what I found out:

The slot is clearly too narrow to fit a SD card without widening it, which I do not intend to do. I do think if i might be able to hide it in one of the vents on the back if i mod it a little. We will see what happens later on after I get more of the project finished.

I also bought some shelves to organize all my computers better so that I can work on them easier.

I have several of my towers on the bottom, a shelf for keyboard/mouse then monitors, then some more desktop cases, and finally the top has a printer and some ancient modems. Most of the apple stuff on there now is either getting modded to be useful or tossed/given away to fellow modders.

I'll leave you guys with one more shot of the Classic:

As usual I am looking forward to everyone's opinions ideas and comments. I am looking for low cost suggestions for both a slot load optical drive (must read DVD dont care if it burns or not) and more difficultly a monitor on a budget. I also have a project car and a boat I need to spend money on so I am trying not to spend a whole lot on this.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

KVM dude.

I am slightly envious of the collection. Very envious actually

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

nice chucky,.... ill be watching closely
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!