Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dell_XPS_mods

Default Dell_XPS_mods

Project: Dell XPS

**Project has been canceled**

This used to be my current everyday use machine. I got this used several years ago. The original hardware inside was an outdate P3 setup. I've given the original hardware to someone who could use it for a project.

Originally I wasn't planning on doing much in the way of modding it although it makes for a good case to practice and learn different skills on. I origianlly didn't plan on painting it as I never personally had an issue with the beige box look. However I've decided to attempt to take this case to another level and see what happens. Plans are now for a case window, new front intake, two tone paint job, and various accent lighting.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Default Re: Dell_XPS_mods

Here is the computer as it has been set up for most of the time I had it:

I happend to be in Rochester, NY for the weekend as I will be going to school there next year. Coincidentally the FrozenCPU.com warehouse is located there. So I decided to swing by and pick up some parts straight from the source. There is a store front but it is not well stocked so the guys there were cool and let me wander the warehouse to find what I wanted. I ended up buying a few things. I did not get everything I wanted because I was short on money and time. Here is what I got though straight from the source:

I got a CompuNurse Temp display, a 80mm silenx fan with red LEDs, two clear C3 5.12" bay covers, and a third bay cover modified to fit the CompuNurse display. I got the bay covers as they were on sale for $0.50 and they were almost gone. I was hoping for some of the smoked clolored ones to go in project Highrise but they had already sold out of those.

My plan for the 80mm fan was to replace the loud CPU fan in the XPS. Unfortunatly I forgot the size and realized when I when to change fans that the one I already had was 92mm:

Okay so scratch that I'll just have to live with the noise for now. However I had a brainstorm, why not put the 80mm in the front along with the temp display:

I moved the hard drive to the 3.5" bay below the CD burner. Unfortunatly I am going to need to drill new holes and move the HD further back to fit the fan behind the front panel. I plan on gluing together the two 3.5" bay covers and the 5.25" cover above them and cutting an 80mm hole (Similar to what Drac998 did). I also am going to mount the temp display in the 5.25" panel next to the fan.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

I masked off the 5.25" drive panel and marked the opening for the temp display using the C3 panel as a template:

This was my first time using my Dremel so the cuts are not perfect yet. Here it is after I just finished the main cutting:

I test fitted that display and filed the edges untill the displace could fit. Here it is finished and with the tape off:

Finally with the display installed you cannot even see the rough edges:

I inserted the temp probe between my heatsink and processor:

Note that I removed my CD burner that was in the second 5.25" bay as I don't really use it on a day to day basis.

Another quick stupid mod I did was take a badge I had lying around from the new dells and stretch it to fit over the circle on the side of the case. I then hotglued it to the sidepanel.

I admit this was a rather stupid mod and was poorly done. I promise better mods in the future.

Here is the case with the temp display and Dell badge:
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Looks alright.
    I used to have one of those.
    First computer I ever took apart.
    Still have the 4mb fx card around here somewhere.

That's the exact size of my Micron case . That was the first computer I've ever taken apart.

Anyways, that PC could do with a fresh coat of paint, some bondo work, and a lotta creativity.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

LOL no way i was helping set up my uncles computer yesterday and that was the old one he had, and i swear i was thinking of modding it but you beat me to it

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Nice job on the temp display, looks good!

Can't say I approve of the Dell logo's though. That logo is the anti-christ of the modding world. lol

Overall, I think you have a pretty good case on your hands. A little mod here and there like that and eventually you could end up with something pretty sweet.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire
    Can't say I approve of the Dell logo's though. That logo is the anti-christ of the modding world. lol
    Agreed. Once again, Dell is an evil company (quite expensive, too).
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

That case is a BI**H to paint...I dont know what it is about that plastic but it sucks. If you REALLY take your time, it can come out beautiful, but it's definitly not the same at painting aluminum. The plus side is that there is so much space in that thing that the modding possibilities are endless
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

Thanks for the comments. Just to let you know my CPU runs close to about 30C. The range has been around 25C-32C. The temp probe works great though, really simple, good display, only missing a backlight which doesn't bother me and I believe there is a backlit version available for those who do. I might play around with positioning in the case to get the overall temps, HDs, ect.

I agree the dell logo is kinda stupid. I happened to have one that "fell" off my schools computers a few years ago. I hot glued it so I could take it off when I take out the dell hardware but for now it adds interest to the case, and technically the motherboard, HD, PSU, and DVD are all Dell OEM. Which reminds me in addition to the ATX plug the motherboard has an additional AT style plug, I hate propriatary hardware:

As for painting I plan on leaving it beige for now, maybe in the future but no definate plans as of yet. I like the look for now and as dfigravity said it will be a pain to paint. Although if I were to use that Krylon Fusion paint I used on my performa it would probably be a little easier.

I do plan on possible adding a side panel. This won't be your average square shaped panel either. I might mess around with some LED lighting as well.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift