Thread: old computer cant boot from usb

Overclocked

Default old computer cant boot from usb

Does anyone Know a way to boot from a usb key on an old computer I have an old sever computer that I wanted to use for a mod but I dont want to put hardrives in it.. I want to be able to boot from the usb

in the pc is

2x 933mhz intell cpus
    asus something mb
    2x 512 sdram
    1 dvd rom
    1 powersupply
    1 wireless card
    1 sound card

Now befor I mod it I want to put ubunut on a usb but I dont want to boot from the dvd rom I want to remove that from the build..

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: old computer cant boot from usb

I'm assuming the system can't boot from USB? If that's the case, there's not much you can do. You could get an IDE or SATA to CF or SD adapter if you just want a cheap solid state drive, but there's no way that I know of to make it boot with the USB key as the only device.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I'm assuming the system can't boot from USB? If that's the case, there's not much you can do. You could get an IDE or SATA to CF or SD adapter if you just want a cheap solid state drive, but there's no way that I know of to make it boot with the USB key as the only device.
    well I dont mind useing the dvd rom to load the drivers to boot but Im haveing a hard time finding a way to get it to work..

the mb is a

asus cuv4x-dhl

basicly I want to run ubuntu and be able to change the settings stuff like that what I need is a way for a cd to load the usb hardrive and thats it because its installed already works on my newer pcs I just want to plug it in throw a disk to start the loading of the usb drive and thats it..

How comfortable are you with advanced linux stuff? Basically what you'll have to do is modify the grub entries on the live-cd to point to the right files on the usb key. I've never done it myself (or heard of it being done, for that matter) but in theory it should work. Though I feel like it would kinda defeat the purpose of booting from a USB stick.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    How comfortable are you with advanced linux stuff? Basically what you'll have to do is modify the grub entries on the live-cd to point to the right files on the usb key. I've never done it myself (or heard of it being done, for that matter) but in theory it should work. Though I feel like it would kinda defeat the purpose of booting from a USB stick.
    its so I can goto peoples home and fix the windows computer to get data off befor reformateing.. I have hiran boot cd (and usb) but I like the speed of the usb over and the fact its easyer to change settings but Im just starting linx.. Ive mad programs in windows like a calculator I programed my self stuff like that though..

Its also because im board and and what to start using ubunut sick of vista but I want all my old programs to work which the stream might work for me since I got lots of pcs lying around..

I'd say for going to other peoples' systems, just use a custom live-cd if they can't boot from USB. You can even convert a running linux system to a live-CD using tools like Remastersys.

Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    Its also because im board and and what to start using ubunut sick of vista but I want all my old programs to work which the stream might work for me since I got lots of pcs lying around..
    I'm not following you...Linux won't help you run Windows programs. Well, except for Wine, but no promises there.

Overclocked

got it work through consle comands..

I think you just have to use a bootable cd..... thats the best way rather than trying implement some new technologies into old pc...

If you really don't want an optical drive or hard drive get a compact Flash to IDE converter and run that instead of a hard drive. Or just find better hardware that can support USB.

Also it's possible but unlikely that the board manufacture might have released a BIOS update that included support for USB boot.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy