Thread: what psu....

Default what psu....

Should I have if I'm running:
    AM2 64X2 4800+ 2.5 HGz
    MSI K9A2 Platinum
    2gb G. Skill
    XFX 5750

i have a 450w now and feel like I am barely getting by.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Default Re: what psu....

well.. assuming 1 hdd, and one optical drive... about a 400... if you have 2 hdds then a 500 or 550 watt
    Not dead yet

newegg recommends at least 370w with your build, 500w seems pretty much the standard.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

According to THIS CALCULATOR you don't even need 300w and the recommended is 341w so your 450 is plenty. You should bear in mind though that PSU's lose capacity with age - some people say you should assume a 10% power loss for each year of use although I can't personally vouch for that.

My main rig is running on a 450w coolermaster with a power meter. Intel Quad core 2.75, 8GB ram, 4870 graphics, 2 hard disks and 1 optical, and it is more than ample.... Don't assume you need a mega PSU unless you're doing some serious overlocking and running non-standard items like screens, displays, watercooling pumps etc....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

/\ What slave said. With those specs, 450W will be more than enough, even taking aging into account, as long as you have a well made (~80%+ efficiency) PSU. OOC, what makes you think you don't have enough power?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV