Thread: theft resistant case

ATX Mental Case

Default theft resistant case

Im going to college next year, and currently have a aplus black pearl case. for my laptop, i have one of those lock things. any ideas on how i can do this with my case? maybe some way to lock the panels, bolt it down, ect

Default Re: theft resistant case

Most computer cases should have a Kensington lock on the back somewhere. However, a pair of tin-snips is all it takes to cut through it. If you're worried enough to bolt your case to your desk, then here's what I would suggest:
    1) Position your case exactly where you want it.
    2) Clamp the case to the desk if possible.
    3) VERY carefully drill up through the bottom of the desk and into the bottom of the case. As soon as the bit comes through the metal bottom of the case STOP. If you drill through anything else, nobody is going to want to steal the computer anyway.
    4) Get yourself bolts that fit the holes snugly and 2 large-surface-area washers per bolt. Obviously get some nuts to go with the bolts...
    5) Bolt that sucker down with the washers on top and bottom so it can't be pulled through!

I'd also make sure the side access panel has some screws in it as well so it can't be quickly pulled off. Then lock the Kensington lock on the monitor to the lock on the case with a security cable. Criminals rarely spend more than a couple minutes burglarizing and they aren't going to fiddle around with anything that offers up even minimal resistance unless it is their prime target. If there's the potential for a break-in, make sure all your other stuff is out of sight as well.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Default Re: theft resistant case

Why are you so concerned about your computer getting stolen? Does the school you will be going to have an abnormally high number of computer thefts?

You say going to college so I assume you are living in a dormitory. I used to live in a dorm for a year and never felt unsafe or that my expensive computer equipment was in any danger of being stolen. The only thefts I have heard of were the result of pure stupidity on the owners part. Basically all the gets stolen is unattended laptops.

I think protecting your computer against theft comes down to is good habits. Most dorms I've seen have private bedrooms with locks on the door. Make sure you always lock your room when you leave, even if going across the hall to the bathroom or to talk with a friend. If you can setup your room so that your computer area can't be seen from outside the door. If you are on the ground floor (meaning someone can easily see in your dorms window and maybe climb in) make sure to close and lock your window when you aren't in the room, also I recommend keeping the window shades closed most of the time in a ground level room if you are concerned about theft.

If you are lucky to have a dorm room by yourself then you probably don't need any security for your computer, just make sure the room is locked when noone is in the room or when you are sleeping. If you have a roommate(s) that is your big security risk. Most likely your roommate won't actually steal your stuff, if they would then you have bigger issues and should request to change roommates. What is more of a concern is that your roommate might not be as diligent as you in keeping the room locked, or could let other people into the room who would not respect your stuff.

Since you asked how to setup your computer to protect it I have some advice for that too. One good idea is to just make the computer look old and irrelevant. I know as gamers we like to show off our computers however that also makes them targets. Your best bet is find a beige box case and put your good hardware in it. Also if you can, don't use flashy backlit keyboards and mice. If you must have a gamer case place it somewhere inconspicuous like underneath or preferably behind your desk. And hide expensive keyboards and mice in a keyboard tray or drawer when not using them. Save showing off the computer for LAN events, people won't steal what they don't know you have.

Rather than modding a case for locks and such buy a server case. A lot of server cases have locks and mount points for securing to desks. Also check out your school's computer lab to see how they secure their computers. If theft is an issue at your school then your computer labs will have the best antitheft measures, also try and chat with the school's computer admins and IT about the measures they use for computer antitheft.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy