Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: stuck processor

Default Re: stuck processor

Mdust: I've seen plenty of systems where the contact between the cpu and cooler was far more solid than the locking of the socket. Pull the heatsink, and the cpu pops right out with it!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Mdust: I've seen plenty of systems where the contact between the cpu and cooler was far more solid than the locking of the socket. Pull the heatsink, and the cpu pops right out with it!
    This. The socket lock is only a plastic clamp on the smooth metal pins.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    This. The socket lock is only a plastic clamp on the smooth metal pins.
    I guess I've never seen that socket type. Sounds like an insufficient design.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    How was the CPU not locked in the socket? I'm having trouble picturing this.
    I'm assuming it's a pin connection, not ZIF.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I guess I've never seen that socket type. Sounds like an insufficient design.
    It's the design that every CPU from the Pentium era up until the recent ZIF sockets (LGA775/1156/1366, F, G34) has used. I believe even AM2/3 use it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    It's the design that every CPU from the Pentium era up until the recent ZIF sockets (LGA775/1156/1366, F, G34) has used.
    100% Correct.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    It's the design that every CPU from the Pentium era up until the recent ZIF sockets (LGA775/1156/1366, F, G34) has used. I believe even AM2/3 use it.
    My parents' computer from the early-to-mid-90s was the first I'd ever taken apart and it was a zif. I've worked on a few AMDs in the past that I thought were also zif but perhaps I just don't clearly recall it.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I've had this happen more times than I can count too. Usually with 478 processors, and a couple of times with my 754's. Never had it happen on 939's or AM2's - I guess the extra pins might give the clamp a little more traction, or the thermal paste no longer dries quite as hard as it used to - progress maybe?

As for removing them. I use a plain flat tip screwdriver. Place it between the PCB of the CPU and the HSF, and gently twist - usually comes right off with surprisingly little force, so if it happens to anyone else reading this, be ready to catch the CPU - the screwdriver will almost certainly do no damage - dropping the CPU when it pops free is more likely to cause issues lol

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

My parents' computer from the early-to-mid-90s was the first I'd ever taken apart and it was a zif. I've worked on a few AMDs in the past that I thought were also zif but perhaps I just don't clearly recall it.
    I think you're mis-estimating the age of your parents' computer. If it was from the early-to-mid 90's (ie, 1990-1996) it would have been a 386, 486, AM386, AM486, Pentium, Pentium Pro, or K5. All of these were either pin-in-socket or hard-wired onto the MBB. The first ZIF socket to be used in consumer computers that I am aware of was the LGA775 socket, which debuted in late 2004. I think the only AMD CPUs that use ZIF are socket F and G34 Opterons.

@slave, fwiw, I had this happen all the time with my s939 CPUs too...I think it's just a matter of how much suction is created by the TIM seal.
    --Benjamin Franklin

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Well I don't have that much experience with 939s to be honest. I have one, an engineering sample, sitting in my spare parts bin, and the only other one I ever had to work with was one I gave to a friend as part of a full system to replace her aging Duron 1300 system about a year ago...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey