Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anime/Manga

Default Re: Anime/Manga

i used to be big into anime a few years back, i was into making anime music videos. most of my favorite stuff is the late 80's early 90s cheesy hyper violent stuff. I dont really have alot of anime left on dvd, i have the remastered berserk boxset, and alot of the studio ghibli stuff.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Wait a minute.... You guys telling me that there is Anime that's not Pron?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Wait a minute.... You guys telling me that there is Anime that's not Pron?
    Wierd huh? When I first found it I just thought it was going to take a while for the tentacles to get frisky but they never did lmao

A quick google found me a place that's streaming all 493 (seriously!) episodes across the three Dragonball series. I watched the first episode of the original and it made me chuckle a bit as it's just SO different to the DBZ I'm familiar with. It smacks of Loony Toons humour in places and it's just frankly all quite silly so I can only guess it was originally aimed at a younger audience. DBZ is certainly a few levels above it on that basis.

It surprised me that Bulma seems to be about 10 years older than Goku in this yet in Z I would've guessed she was younger (or at least similarly aged) Going to be watching a few of these when I have the time anyway as I quite liked the whole Dragonball saga anyway.

1 episode down, 153 to go!

I like how Netflix is only adding subbed anime now, let alone with some of the most popular anime ever created thus far.

Damn otaku's. Read their blog concerning anime. The comment sections are filled to the brim with people begging, threatening and groveling for subbed anime. Many comments were like "I'd rather not watch it at all than watch dubbed". Seriously?

I hate stumbling across a really good anime and finding out that it's subbed. I can't read and watch at the same time. I always feel like I'm missing out on the show.

Hopefully they'll add a sub/dub option. On the Wii there's a bubble just for that. I don't really understand why they wouldn't in the first place? Cost maybe?

Pretty frustrating turn of events either way. Man, and they just HAD to start with all of the really good anime's too. So lame.

Oh well, back to my endless Stargate marathon. lol

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Wow, violent overreaction much?

Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I like how Netflix is only adding subbed anime now, let alone with some of the most popular anime ever created thus far.
    This likely has little if anything to do with Netflix. What you have to understand about the anime industry is that the distribution rights for the subbed and dubbed versions are not necessarily owned by the same companies. And even if they are, it's that company's decision whether they'll license the dubbed, subbed, or both versions. It's the same reason Netflix doesn't have their entire library available for streaming. It's not because they don't want to do that, it's because the content permissions owners won't let them. In this case, I'm guessing a lot of the content owners won't let them have the dubbed versions in order to drive sales of the dubbed version on DVD to DTO.

Many comments were like "I'd rather not watch it at all than watch dubbed". Seriously?
    I actually agree with this in some cases. English dubs have improved immensely in the last 5-10 years, but if you look at english dubs from the 80's and 90's, it's kinda a crapshoot whether you'll get passable voice actors or just horrific voice actors that completely ruin the show...or decent voice actors but horrible localization that butchers the dialog... In those cases, yes, I would rather not watch the show than watch it with horribly butchered dialog and bad voice actors. I'm not saying they're all like that, and bad english dubs are getting rarer and rarer as more and more studios can afford good voice actors, translators, and localization editors...and more good actors are doing voice acting to begin with, so it's easier to find good voice actors.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I am not really an anime fan. I don't really enjoy the style and I find the characters/environments a bit weird. I did really enjoy Black Lagoon it was very good.
    Need a sig

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

So, subbed=subtitles, dubbed=voice-over translations?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

simon, if you liked Black Lagoon, definitely check out Black Lagoon Second Barrage if you haven't already. Also, you might like Cowboy Bebop.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    So, subbed=subtitles, dubbed=voice-over translations?
    Yes.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

They didn't have any subbed before. Every single new addition has been subbed. They're purposely seeking out subbed to better cater to their anime watching audience. They do actually listen to people, especially through their blog. And people have been asking for subbed anime for quite a while. Passionately would be a nicer word to use.

Not that you don't have a point, it's just not the reason in the particular case for obvious reasons.

Violent? Lol?

They didn't have any subbed before. Every single new addition has been subbed. They're purposely seeking out subbed to better cater to their anime watching audience. They do actually listen to people, especially through their blog. And people have been asking for subbed anime for quite a while. Passionately would be a nicer word to use.
    So go on the forum and request dubs. They almost definitely have to pay separate license fees for the subs and dubs, so assuming the rights holders would let them get them both, if they have a clear message from their user-base that subs are in much greater demand, of course they're going to buy those licenses first. There's also the possibility that dubs don't exist for a given series yet. I know, there are plenty of series' on there that have dubs made but Netflix doesn't have them available, but some shows, especially if they are actually new, not just new to Netflix, might not have any made yet. Those studios that I mentioned earlier doing simultaneous releases don't do english dubs for those simultaneous releases. Subs are way cheaper and easier, and the people who care most about getting simultaneous releases usually are fine with them. Maybe one day we'll have true, complete, simultaneous worldwide releases with audio tracks in multiple languages, but that day is not today. For now, even the presence of subbed simultaneous releases is a huge step in the right direction.
    --Benjamin Franklin