Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project monster computer

Shut up and take my money!

Default Re: Project monster computer

hmm..black is nice, but it needs more fancy-fying
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Sexy in black but you need to spray the interior too imo.

Anodized

Spray the interior? You mean the other side of the Panels? Ya I know... I was in a hurry.
    And I respect your opinion, I'd like to eventually paint the interior, but won't be for awhile, since I'd need to go a few days without a computer. ( painted the front, let it sit outside all day and night) and my room STILL smells like a rattle can. The side panels baked in the sun for 2 days so they don't smell. Oh well... Time to burn candles.

And I'm not done modding it, this is just the beginning. Going with a monster hackintosh theme. (as it dwarfs a Powermac G5 AND a Mac Pro, and out performs a G5, and will hold its own against an early Mac Pro... Until I build my i7).

Anodized

Finished it... For now. Here's some pr0n :-)

And here's an image of what I would love to paint on the side... Apple Powermac / Mac Pro style. any of you guys have experience putting images from google onto the side of a case?

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Ya man this thing is screaming to be WC'd. You can make a wicked window to show off a tube res beside the mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozziesironmanoffroad View Post
    any of you guys have experience putting images from google onto the side of a case?
    Great picture! Depends on how you want to have it placed in the computer. Etching is an option, takes skill or money. Airbrushing is an option, same problems though you could probably do ok (assuming you are not already an airbrush guru) by printing it out in the size you want on card stock or vinyl sheet and very carefully cutting out the black areas to make a stencil. Another option is to just have it printed on clear vinyl transparency. I have done this with other projects but your problems will likely be size and resolution. Office max and places like that can do it cheaply but are limited to 8*11" sheets of transparency. Another problem will likely be resolution. Few images online are high res enough to enlarge and not suffer nasty pixelation. I always use at least 300DPI (photoshop defaults new files to 72 so you need to increase it) but Office Max can print up to 600DPI. I would blow the image up to the size I wanted and make a new layer, then use the original as a template and trace a new copy which would eliminate the pixelation (or use vector drawing if you know how). It will be time consuming for sure, but that is how I would do it.

You might be able to find someone to do it for you, I would but not for free. How big were you thinking of making it?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Anodized

The size of the apple logo on g5's and Mac pros. Not the entire panel, maybe 4"x4" Or 3" x 3". I don't have my exact measurements yet...
    I was thinking of sanding the panel down, repainting it like a dark silver or grey, using that pic as maybe a template, finding someone to freehand it onto the panel, then carefully cover it, then repaint the panel gloss black, leaving the skull the dark grey/silver.
    Thoughts?

And I know... I plan on water cooling. Once I build my i7 rig, gonna water cool it and redesign the thermal zones.., as it currently has one: air sucked through the 80mm fan on the back, and the 120mm fan on the roof of the lower compartment, then pushed out by the 120mm fan I stole out of a g3 desktop ( along with the bracket) and re-wired for faster rpm's. Wen I get home I'll sketch out the current airflow pattern and post it up for review.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I would seriously consider getting that picture laser etched into a piece of plexi, then cutting a window in the side of the case to the exact shape of the outline - mount the skull in the new hole and point a couple of red leds at it to make the etching really glow - you'd still be able to see into the case but that would look (IMO) absolutely epic....

I have a few cases this size (or bigger) and love 'em - I have a full tower old-school chieftec dragon...

as well as a Thermaltake Mozart TX...

and finally, my pride and joy (well as far as computer cases go) my server which lives in one of these....

A lian li 343b cube case - this thing has 18 (yup, eighteen) 5.25" bays!!!!

Your love of large cases is not going to make people here look at you funny - most of us love em

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Large "cases"
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

lol - those are my largeST cases - I have about 40 in total and most of them are more moderately sized

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey