Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSU Question

Overclocked

Default Re: PSU Question

No. That's only the amount of current the PSU can develop. It doesn't "push" current in your components, but your components draws the needed power and nothing more.

You can have a 650watts PSU in a 150watts system, you'll only draw 150watts from the wall.

Alrighty! Wow, that's... pretty cool.

Anyways, I'll be getting a good PSU soon.

Cool. Have any ideas of what brands/specific models you want?
    RIP Bucko

Hmm, not really. I'd most likely get one of those known-brand ones. Not real sure what's the best one that isn't a huge wallet-burner.

Here are some I would recommend, though other people on here may think differently. They are from Newegg, a very reliable online retailer, and will have much lower prices than any local shop you have.

Apevia (Aspire) 500W - The Aspire Chameleon I used to have was very solid, stable, and had a nice price like this one.

Cooler Master 500W - Never tried one of their PSUs, but if they're anything like the cases it'll be excellent.

Hiper 480W - Hiper makes very high quality PSUs, I'm running one as I type this.

Those are just a few of the many choices you have. I believe all of them are under $50, and 480W+. Check those out before you buy from a local shop.
    RIP Bucko

I know someone that has purchased from newegg, and he said it was very reliable. So, that's most likely where I'll be getting my PSU.

Anyways, thank you for searching for those. You've been a huge help in both of my threads on the Rookie's Area.

Those PSUs are cheaper than I expected them to be.

No problem man, I'm here to help.

And yeah, a lot of PSUs are pretty cheap. It seems that they are either cheap, or really expensive. I don't know why that is. But hey, I'm always down for cheap prices
    RIP Bucko

Cheap is always good. Mal, have you checked my Computer Case thread? I've updated it with a new post. (I think I finally found a case!!!)

One thing to be wary of is if your PSU doesn't have any proprietary plugs. Although you should be good, only a few *cough* Dell */cough* are like that. My XPS has that problem, I can't replace the PSU because in addition to the regular ATX motherboard connector it has one AT style connector as well.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Anodized

From my run-in's with emachines you should not have any problems with powersupply interchangabilities. I replaced many a powersupply in them Sony VIAO is another company to watch out for on proprietary powersupplies.