Looking great! Your hard work is even more evident the closer this project gets to completion.
Looking great! Your hard work is even more evident the closer this project gets to completion.
TheMainMan
my 1st scratch case made july 2008 (finding my feet)
Air Cube prototype (fin jan 2009) (still finding my feet)
Air Cube v2 now with added cpc stack (fin aug 2010) (getting better)
Project Stealthlow (fin sep 2011) (much improvement)
Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build - Paused
Midlag Crisis
Nah it's not bad. Just make sure to use a hot knife to cut it, or melt the ends with something to keep them from fraying. Also, make sure to cut MORE than you need, as when it expands it shrinks. I usually sleeve the wire, then cut to length as needed. Also, don't forget to put your heatshrink on BEFORE you crimp the connectors on![]()
Arctic Cat * Maximum Security * Cribbage Board * Rockin Case * Armor Redux
Tempest SXR * Power House * Red Comet * ICHIWZ * Acrylic Headphone Hook
Continuing sponsorship support from PCBoard.ca
Something you learned the hard way, SXR?
TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EVThat we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
--Benjamin Franklin
Arctic Cat * Maximum Security * Cribbage Board * Rockin Case * Armor Redux
Tempest SXR * Power House * Red Comet * ICHIWZ * Acrylic Headphone Hook
Continuing sponsorship support from PCBoard.ca
my 1st scratch case made july 2008 (finding my feet)
Air Cube prototype (fin jan 2009) (still finding my feet)
Air Cube v2 now with added cpc stack (fin aug 2010) (getting better)
Project Stealthlow (fin sep 2011) (much improvement)
Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build - Paused
Midlag Crisis
OK time for some MDPC sleeving.
Being new to a full on sleeving job, a quick google her a quick goolgle there & BAM.
How to remove an ATX plug
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=64632
Snipped the heatshrink, cable tie & sleeving off the corsair ax850 atx cable.
Then went & gathered pliers, wire stripper, the crimping tool I got from MDPC in all it's matt black glory& my ridiculasly huge disposable lighter my bro bought me for christmas & isn't even half way used since christmas lol
.
Got a paper clip straightened out & tried using it but was too thick soooo, I took it to the garage, snipped it in half & grinded it so it was nice & thin.
Tested it & it does the job of removing pins awesome, instead of pressing it against the ground I held it tight in the pliers to push it the extra needed amount, first attempt & it came out perfectly, so so much for this psu being difficult hehe, still though I'll need to dig out an exacto blade so I can heat it up to cut the sleeving well.
Nils awesome trademark custom cartoon picture.
40 metres of black sleeving for single wires & I think 10 metres of sata sleeving too, 150 pre-cut heatshrink pieces, a nice length of heatshrink, a pile of pins, a load of cable clip pieces of all the available sizes, enough sata power pass through pieces & a few sata power end pieces, that is all I think.
I might only do the CPU cable & the ATX cable tonight but it's on.
my 1st scratch case made july 2008 (finding my feet)
Air Cube prototype (fin jan 2009) (still finding my feet)
Air Cube v2 now with added cpc stack (fin aug 2010) (getting better)
Project Stealthlow (fin sep 2011) (much improvement)
Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build - Paused
Midlag Crisis
For heating the heatshrink, I would highly recommend picking up a heatgun (or a hair dryer would work too) instead of using the lighter. With a lighter you run a much higher risk of heating the tubing too much or even catching it on fire, plus you're limited in the range of movement that you can use it it. IE, only underneath or maybe to the side of the tubing, whereas with a heatgun you can attack it from any angle, and you can be much more precise in the amount of heat you convey. Plus, the heatgun will force the air into any little nooks and crannies and between wires, getting into those tight spots that you just can't reach with a lighter.
TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EVThat we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
--Benjamin Franklin
Luckily I have the option of both, it's just that with the sleeving pack it said best results with a lighter by sweeping it past carefully, but it may have said that for those without a heatgun.
I have used a heatgun for a light bit of sleeving & it burnt the sleeving but then again I wasn't using the correct size heatshrinkanyway I brought the heatgun over also so I can find out which works best, thanks for mentioning though 88
.
my 1st scratch case made july 2008 (finding my feet)
Air Cube prototype (fin jan 2009) (still finding my feet)
Air Cube v2 now with added cpc stack (fin aug 2010) (getting better)
Project Stealthlow (fin sep 2011) (much improvement)
Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build - Paused
Midlag Crisis