Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 547

Thread: Project Stealthlow

  1. #261
    Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    804

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Looking great! Your hard work is even more evident the closer this project gets to completion.
    TheMainMan

  2. #262
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Looking great! Your hard work is even more evident the closer this project gets to completion.
    Thanks MainMan I'm currently considering starting on the sleeving & wow I'm hoping it's not as difficult as many say it is lol .

  3. #263
    Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    5,865

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Nah it's not bad. Just make sure to use a hot knife to cut it, or melt the ends with something to keep them from fraying. Also, make sure to cut MORE than you need, as when it expands it shrinks. I usually sleeve the wire, then cut to length as needed. Also, don't forget to put your heatshrink on BEFORE you crimp the connectors on

  4. #264
    The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Something you learned the hard way, SXR?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

    Tri.fecta

  5. #265
    Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Also, don't forget to put your heatshrink on BEFORE you crimp the connectors on
    /\This...very much, this...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

  6. #266
    Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    5,865

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Something you learned the hard way, SXR?
    Yes, just check out the sleeving I did on my Red Comet project (link in my sig)

    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    /\This...very much, this...
    yes

  7. #267
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Nah it's not bad. Just make sure to use a hot knife to cut it, or melt the ends with something to keep them from fraying. Also, make sure to cut MORE than you need, as when it expands it shrinks. I usually sleeve the wire, then cut to length as needed. Also, don't forget to put your heatshrink on BEFORE you crimp the connectors on
    Thanks for the tips SXRguyinMA .

    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Something you learned the hard way, SXR?


    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    /\This...very much, this...


    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Yes, just check out the sleeving I did on my Red Comet project (link in my sig)



    yes
    Noted .

    I've heared the psu I'm going to sleeve (corsair ax850w) is a nightmare to do, but I'll move forward & find out for myself .

  8. #268
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    OK time for some MDPC sleeving .

    Being new to a full on sleeving job, a quick google her a quick goolgle there & BAM.

    How to remove an ATX plug
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=64632

    Snipped the heatshrink, cable tie & sleeving off the corsair ax850 atx cable.


    Then went & gathered pliers, wire stripper, the crimping tool I got from MDPC in all it's matt black glory & my ridiculasly huge disposable lighter my bro bought me for christmas & isn't even half way used since christmas lol .


    Got a paper clip straightened out & tried using it but was too thick soooo, I took it to the garage, snipped it in half & grinded it so it was nice & thin.




    Tested it & it does the job of removing pins awesome, instead of pressing it against the ground I held it tight in the pliers to push it the extra needed amount, first attempt & it came out perfectly, so so much for this psu being difficult hehe , still though I'll need to dig out an exacto blade so I can heat it up to cut the sleeving well.


    Nils awesome trademark custom cartoon picture .


    40 metres of black sleeving for single wires & I think 10 metres of sata sleeving too, 150 pre-cut heatshrink pieces, a nice length of heatshrink, a pile of pins, a load of cable clip pieces of all the available sizes, enough sata power pass through pieces & a few sata power end pieces, that is all I think .




    I might only do the CPU cable & the ATX cable tonight but it's on .

  9. #269
    Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    For heating the heatshrink, I would highly recommend picking up a heatgun (or a hair dryer would work too) instead of using the lighter. With a lighter you run a much higher risk of heating the tubing too much or even catching it on fire, plus you're limited in the range of movement that you can use it it. IE, only underneath or maybe to the side of the tubing, whereas with a heatgun you can attack it from any angle, and you can be much more precise in the amount of heat you convey. Plus, the heatgun will force the air into any little nooks and crannies and between wires, getting into those tight spots that you just can't reach with a lighter.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

  10. #270
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    For heating the heatshrink, I would highly recommend picking up a heatgun (or a hair dryer would work too) instead of using the lighter. With a lighter you run a much higher risk of heating the tubing too much or even catching it on fire, plus you're limited in the range of movement that you can use it it. IE, only underneath or maybe to the side of the tubing, whereas with a heatgun you can attack it from any angle, and you can be much more precise in the amount of heat you convey. Plus, the heatgun will force the air into any little nooks and crannies and between wires, getting into those tight spots that you just can't reach with a lighter.
    Luckily I have the option of both , it's just that with the sleeving pack it said best results with a lighter by sweeping it past carefully, but it may have said that for those without a heatgun.
    I have used a heatgun for a light bit of sleeving & it burnt the sleeving but then again I wasn't using the correct size heatshrink anyway I brought the heatgun over also so I can find out which works best, thanks for mentioning though 88 .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •