Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7th GeN - Going normal scale?

Worth doing? Worth OVERdoing grevaeg's Avatar

Default 7th GeN - Going normal scale?

Was sitting around in my living room a few days ago.. and was pondering about a great unrest ive had for awhile..

You know... the feeling that something aint right, or needs to be done, then again.. ive had this feeling before..

And yes... its the casemod crawing that has reappeared, so i guess its time to get back to basics again, getting rid of ALL previous hardware, and going for a fresh start for once.

The modding scene seems to be evolving these days, alot of truly great mods around now, and i mean truly GREAT, how can i possibly sit down and just watch? so much great inspiration and it would be nice to join up in the modding scene again, its been way to long allready 0.o

the consept's of this build is still just theoretical, but will get on with a 3d modell tomorrow, or atleast start with the sketches ^^

However... some ideas and requirements for this build is more or less ready :

[B]Current status image[B]

The build :

* NO more then 20db from anything in this build
    * 1 SOLID gaming rig
    * 1 SOLID fileserver
    * Watercooling for GPU/CPU/Chipset
    * Custom watertank?
    * Solid alu this time around, will try and stay away from hollow profiles
    * based around two or three modules
    * more attention to details 0.o

Cooling
    Not really decided on who to go for when it comes to waterblocks or fan's yet 0.o

So this is the start, more to come ^^ wish me luck guys, heading into deep water this time around 0.o

[I]The sponsors![I]

Default Re: 7th GeN - Going normal scale?

Ah well... not much activity lately over here, but guess ill give u guys a small heads up on whats going on

First of all.... 8x 2TB WD Green series disks has arrived in the 6th.GeN to be able to transfer some of the files over to the somewhat larger raid 5! Also a LSI 8402 ELP 8 port sas controller has come in place =) Currently running at a staggering 46TB in 6th.GeN... too bad only 20 of em will be transfered onto this project.

Ive been doing some thinking regards to the previous designs, and im just about to be happy with how stuff turns out.

Edges has been moved a bit, and the design has been moved in a more futuristic style, a large 4x140mm radiator has taken the place of the double 4x120mm radiators that were intended in the start of this build.

It can now hold 12x drives, and yea... its a downgrade from the previous builds 48x.. but keep in mind, that this is a lan pickup stuff rig and a gaming pc

Its been toned down to 15cm wide aswell, so hopefully, it will look really slim when its done.

The plans has been sendt to a CNC machining plant for fabrication! expect a proper update soon! this build is finally going to take form =)

Hi guys!

Just received a update from the sheetmetal company ^^

Got a production time of 2 weeks on the alu thats in for some CNC work, so guess its about time to take some waiting pics of some hardware thats going into this build.

As projected, 16x 2 TB WD Green 7200 rpm disks will be replacing the random muccus of the previous build, along with another 4x 1.5 TB for the gaming rig and another 2x 300GB 15,000rpm SAS drives.

Will be using the LSI 8470 controllers for the drives, and go full out raid 5 with 2 sets of 8 drives each.

Striping for the SAS drives, and another raid 5 for the 1.5's

Hi guys!

After alot of talk, and little progress, its time to start showing off some results, aint it ? i received my aluminium this Monday, and have been working for quite a few hours allready, the first part of this build is more or less assembled allready, and im now working on the next case to go on top of it...

But enough blabbering ^^

Lets get on with some images, shall we? unfortunatily, the first 3 days of work has been deleted from the CF card (thx dad) -.- so had to retake alot of em today

God i love CNC machines... this is basically the first frame with the frontplate facing the top, just got those holes drilled up ^^

One part semi assembled, the other one not really touched

I decided early on to use countersunk bolts on this build... cus... uhm... it looks cool? haha, basically 8mm m6 bolts that suited to go trough 2 4mm alu plates, also got a countersinking tap now!

And yes... i know it needs some brushing.... and andonizing...

Hi guys!

After alot of talk, and little progress, its time to start showing off some results, aint it ? i received my aluminium this Monday, and have been working for quite a few hours allready, the first part of this build is more or less assembled allready, and im now working on the next case to go on top of it...

But enough blabbering ^^

Lets get on with some images, shall we? unfortunatily, the first 3 days of work has been deleted from the CF card (thx dad) -.- so had to retake alot of em today

God i love CNC machines... this is basically the first frame with the frontplate facing the top, just got those holes drilled up ^^

One part semi assembled, the other one not really touched

I decided early on to use countersunk bolts on this build... cus... uhm... it looks cool? haha, basically 8mm m6 bolts that suited to go trough 2 4mm alu plates, also got a countersinking tap now!

And yes... i know it needs some brushing.... and andonizing...

The frame has been put together, the disk rack has been assembled, the job on part 2 has also started ^^

So lets talk about the rack for now? 0.o

It consist of 2 plates, with some alu in between, and vibration insulation on the top, to prevent this build to make to much noise 0.o

Stacked?!

The sponsors

Komplett is sponsoring this project with a HIS 5970 gfx card ^^

Dangerden will be delivering a fullcover 5970 Waterblock, a 5870 block, 12 Compression fittings and their DD Radiator ress

Hw labs will be sending over their monolithic GTX 560 Radiator

Netshop has delivered the PSU's for this build , and are contributing with good prices!

Hi guys!

After another couple of days are the hardware finally starting to show up... so lets just start with some images shall we?

Cant wait to get some DD blocks on this one... also, the 5870 should be arriving soon..

Another mysterious box arrived a couple of days ago aswell, i have to admit... i had NO idea what it might contain... just the sheer size of it.. it was just HUGE, a knife... and some cutting later, i figured out what the box contained ^^

Yes... it is indeed the monolithic GTX 560 Radiator from HW labs, and a smaller 280 rad... and OMFG its huge... its been awhile since ive seen something this beautyfull

And hey... no cooled down PC without some fan's, eh? Bought some Mist 140mm 17DB fans for this build

And a Mist waterblock

And on to the build...

Well, to be honest... not too much has happened on this front quite yet, ive been working on the backplate to mount the PSU, and ive drilled and tapped up holes for the sideplates, but now that the hardware has more or less arrived i can finally start planning and placing stuff in there

Some touchups will be done regards to countersinking all the bolts, aswell as sanding/anodizing/painting as so on

I should be able to get a update going tomorrow aswell

Hooooy! im back

Sooo... its been what? about a year since last update? Kinda feel that i have to inform that this one is getting a reboot, starting NOW ^^,

New hardware list

Asus-ROG-Maximus-IV

Sapphire 7970 - Crossfire (i has ninjad this pic)

Corsair 1200w

Corsair Vengeance 2000.

Watercooling equipment mail's has been sendt around, kinda curious to who i will end up with 0.o availability aint really too high on 7970 blocks quite yet -.-

Oh... and another small notice... all the HDD's has been put into a couple of 19" racks ^^ so there wont be the need for this one having double size anymore... somewhat sad to say it, but this will actually be somewhat close to normal scale for once ! :eyebrow:

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Wow looks great dude!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

nice start so far!!

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

How much storage do you NEED?!?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta