Thread: Just installed Fedora 10

Default Just installed Fedora 10

Like the title says I just installed Fedora 10. I must say I am very impressed.

This is a Gateway M6817 laptop that came with Vista Home Premium preinstalled. I have tried running a few different distros of linux on here in the past all installed alongside the Vista partition. First I tried Fedora 8, worked but had some display issues and took a bit of effort to get it to do a lot of thing. I then switched to Ubuntu 8.04, was easier to use but still had the display issue. I was able to resolve that eventually with some help however still had issues getting different hardware features to work (like my webcam) and just started using Vista again daily.

I finally decided to try Fedora 10. I must say I am very impressed. The issue from my graphics card was not an issue, webcam was working on first boot. Only issue is while it shows an popup when i try to dim the backlight it does not actually do anything, still better than before. I'll update as I use this more, my intent it to be able to stick to using linux as my primary OS on this machine which I use mostly for schoolwork and on the go.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Default Re: Just installed Fedora 10

I was looking around the software repositories and realized there were several desktop environments I can install:

-Gnome: The default and my personal preference. All the enhanced desktop effects work on my laptop, even though they would not under past distros.

-KDE 4: I like KDE 4 much more than previous versions of KDE I have used. It feels more modern and inviting. The widgets are cool although a few are not well developed. The weather one for example could not find my hometown or a city I spend a good amount of time in (a big city too). I do find it a little clunky to use with a touchpad. I will likely play around with this one more.

-XFCE 4: While I like XFCE as it is configured with Xubuntu, I didn't like the default configuration under Fedora. Granted I can and have completely customized the interface of XFCE I cannot be bothered to use it.

-LXDE: This is a fairly new DE that I believe is fairly lightweight and targeted at netbooks. I did not bother to install or test this one.

-Sugar: This is an interesting one. This is actually the desktop environment that was developed for the OLPC XO-1. I tried this just for kicks. Runs really fast. It is really simplistic, obviously nothing I would use for long term, but still I tried it.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy