Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Laptop screen.

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

Default Cracked Laptop screen.

A friend has asked me to look at a laptop of hers, the screen is pretty severly cracked. You can see bits and peices on the screen but very little. the backlight seems to be intact though as it lights up.
    She has been using it with a seperate monitor since it cracked.

I was just wondering if any of you guys know if there is any sort of risk in using it in this condition? like any poisionous chemicals or whatever?

The issue she wants me to fix is a boot error thing, and she intends to carry on using it cracked with a monitor.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Cracked Laptop screen.

Nah, it should be fine. If you're worried (and she agrees) you could always go ahead and just take the panel out of the laptop. All it's doing right now is wasting space and power anyway.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Yeah i just though i could remove the panel and get rid of it, will have a go at that tomorrow.

I figured it probably would be ok, but i am massively paranoid! haha.
    it is badly cracked though, looks like someone dropped a brick on the screen, dunno how she managed it!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

What size is the screen, I have several lying around spare from dead laptops...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HackSore View Post
    it is badly cracked though, looks like someone dropped a brick on the screen, dunno how she managed it!
    Maybe she dropped a brick on the screen?

The most common problem I've seen for cracked laptop screens has been books stacked on top of them...of course, most of the cracked laptop screens I've seen were students' laptops when i was working at the student computer services office in college....that might have had something to do with it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    What size is the screen, I have several lying around spare from dead laptops...
    Its a 15.6"

Its an advent roma 1000 (i think, havent checked the model number)

How much would you want for one if you have the right size?

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Maybe she dropped a brick on the screen?
    I must have been something like that, its an impressive amount of damage! will try and get a picture of it tomorrow!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I've replaced dozens of laptop screen over the years and by far the most common cause of cracked screen is something being left on the keyboard - something as simple as a pen - when the laptop is closed. Second most common is simply dropping the computer altogether....

As for the screen - I'll check and let you know - if I have one, I'll let it go for about half what one would cost new - I'd guess around £35-40 if that's of any use to you.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    I've replaced dozens of laptop screen over the years and by far the most common cause of cracked screen is something being left on the keyboard - something as simple as a pen - when the laptop is closed. Second most common is simply dropping the computer altogether....

As for the screen - I'll check and let you know - if I have one, I'll let it go for about half what one would cost new - I'd guess around £35-40 if that's of any use to you.
    Sweet yeah, that would be awesome. Will be seeing her tomorrow so will have a chat about what she wants to do.

Thanks!

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Only problem I could forsee is the WiFi antennas.

Mod time?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Only problem I could forsee is the WiFi antennas.

Mod time?
    If they just pull the panel out of it, the case would still be intact, so the antennas wouldnt be an issue.

If you are going to do that though, and she's using a monitor, why not pull the keyboard too, and just use an external one? No keyboard = better heat radiation from the laptop...

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro