Thread: how do i build a labtop from scratch?

Fresh Paint

Smile how do i build a labtop from scratch?

how do i build a labtop from scratch?
    i rather not buy one because they are to darn expensive ... is it even possible to build a labtop from scratch or do i have to buy one?

sorry i am pretty new with labtop modifcation and building... if there is a tutorial on this that would be so nice!! (:O)

thanks! (:O)

Austral Alien

Default Re: how do i build a labtop from scratch?

Welcome to TBCS!

Do you want a small laptop, or a computer in a suitcase?

If you want a laptop size computer, you'll need to buy one. If you want something briefcase/suitcase size, yes it can be done.
    Have a look around the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Anodized

I believe you have to buy a barebone laptop and then you can add on the parts from there.

When you are buying the barebone remember that the screen is part of the barebone and if you cheap out on that then you are sacrificing the resolution of your display.

Depending on what you are building it for ofcourse.

That is about as much as I know about it so hopefully someone else can give us both some more tips.

What if you find a small suitecase .

Fresh Paint

i really want somethign cheap, i am going small size, and also i only want internet connnection (wireless and 56k) and usb (no cd, dvd, floppy, fancy mouse box on keyboard and so on)...

im low budget hehe (:OP

thanks for letting me know about the barebone laptop and looking through forum sounds good (:O)

Austral Alien

If you don't have a CD, DVD drive, or a floppy, how are you going to install an operating system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

If you want only internet than I recomend searching Ebay. Just look for something cheap and realatively recent.

Building a standard laptop is not possible. There is no universal form factor for laptops. Therefore most parts are not interchangeable henceforth preventing you or anyone else from building a laptop from scratch.

Many people have built large laptops using compact form factors such as microITX and a briefcase or briefcase sized box.

I personally would love to see a universal form factor that laptops can be built on. (Maybe in a few years when I have money and an engineering degree I will spearhead a project on this front)
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Case Wizard

Here are two links that might help you. Though I don't think it is what you want to hear. From the looks of it, you don't get that much choice. So you might not be able to save money. Parts may be expensive too. But I'll leave the rest of the research for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/...ook/index.html

http://www.directron.com/laptopdiy.html

Ya Bucko is right.
    No Cd-Rom(y not), what if you want to print something how are you doing to download the drives for the printer

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by nbgoku View Post
    i really want somethign cheap, i am going small size, and also i only want internet connnection (wireless and 56k) and usb (no cd, dvd, floppy, fancy mouse box on keyboard and so on)...

im low budget hehe (:OP

thanks for letting me know about the barebone laptop and looking through forum sounds good (:O)
    Don't want to afraid you, but there is no laptop with no "fancy mouse box" and no cd/dvd/floppy drives. They all have at least one drive bay, and they all come with a mouse (why would we call it a portable computer if you don't have an integrated mouse then?)

You'd be better either looking on eBay, or going on www.dell.ca and buy the cheapest thing you can have. Building barebone is only recommended if you want something powerful and not cheap. You can have brand new laptops for $500 bucks, and even less if you look en eBay.

I would say buy one. Laptops are really coming down in price. You can get a fairly decent laptop for under $700. Building your own costs more money and isn't worht the time/effort to find compatible parts IMO.