Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 547

Thread: Project Stealthlow

  1. #171
    Mentally Underclocked mDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Way to go on the sponsorship!

    If you still want to salvage those feet to use for another project, try one of these. They work well and any place that sells tools should have them.

    The case is looking good. Where did you get that ink from?
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

  2. #172
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Way to go on the sponsorship!

    If you still want to salvage those feet to use for another project, try one of these. They work well and any place that sells tools should have them.

    The case is looking good. Where did you get that ink from?
    Thanks guys .
    Will a screw extractor remove a snapped off drill bit nonetheless I should get some of those as I've had screws lose their socket before & it's hell to get them out .
    The ink I wouldn't know where to get it in the US but try googling alcohol ink, afaik it's scrap book background colouring lol I was really clutching at straws to find a way to colour the aluminium but so it keeps the grain like how anodising would, it didn't survive a simple nail scratch though even with 1 coat of clear on so I think for it to work well it would need a clear primer coat, then the ink, then clear lacquer but I can only find clear primer in the US , in the UK I can find clear primer but only for plastic or wood, I'll try a few more things before I give up on the ink & if any degree of success I'll post how it went .

  3. #173
    Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Will a screw extractor remove a snapped off drill bit
    Probably, but you'll probably need a carbide-tipped drill bit to make the initial hole in the bit.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

  4. #174
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Probably, but you'll probably need a carbide-tipped drill bit to make the initial hole in the bit.
    Maybe my spot drill bit could do that .

    Got the rest of the windows cut out & mounted the side panels to the bottom corner bars today (they both still need to be filed smooth & to the guide lines) but on 1 side the helicoils aren't working as they should so before things get anodised I'll need to fix this by either drilling the helicoils out all the way through the corner bars & then putting longer helicoils in or drilling holes for m4 helicoils & bolts, the side panels are essential to function spot on, sure I could relocate them but then there will be un-needed holes & I don't want that similar thing happened with my first scratch build & won't let that happen again , I'll try longer helicoils first but I won't be able to buy them until next week.


  5. #175
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Was up early so got started on filing the left side panel & wow was I seriously wrong about it being a half hour to an hour task started at 6:30 am had the filing done by 10:30 am, only had a 5 minute break, the satinising mops came the other day & thought I'd clean up the freshly filed panel with the coarse grit one & wow I really like it, possibly even enough to not get it anodised but thats my initial reaction to how good it looks anyway , also used the satinising mop on the curve bars.

    Fixed the 2 iffy helicoils on the right side, managed to remove them & tap it again & put new ones in & it's good now .

    Did what I planned on doing by doing the brush flow the same as the shape .

    Currently taking a little break to post this update, then I'll watch a show then get back to doing the right panel, need a good hour break after all that filing.

    So here is the coarse satinising mop on my drill & a scrap piece for testing.


    Heres the another test piece after the brush.


    Heres the left panel after all the filing.


    After the satinising.


    Closer look.


    Back on the case with both curve bars brushed too.




    Hopefully if I can stand it I'll get the other panel done today .

  6. #176
    Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    804

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Wow, that's quite a difference. I'm picturing that with the blue colour and I think that would be a really stunning look. Great work and congrats on the sponsor!
    TheMainMan

  7. #177
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Wow, that's quite a difference. I'm picturing that with the blue colour and I think that would be a really stunning look. Great work and congrats on the sponsor!
    Thanks MainMan , I still need to find a good way to apply the ink if I go with that, the sample pieces I done with a coat of clear on was able to scratch it off with my nail quite easily so probably need a clear primer for extra grip, I give up with the black ink, just can't get it looking good even with the airbrush it has hints of purple but there is hope in the colours next time I'll try a few coats of clear .

    OK don't know what driven me but I filed the other panel & brushed it so that must have been about 8 or 9 hours today filing so have sore finger tips lol, still needs a good bit of work like sanding the edges so they are perfectly smooth looking & need to get rid of some scratches which the alu already had when I received it but it's going well, also I thought I fixed the right side panels helicoils but no they are still iffy so best thing to do is remove the helicoils & use m4 helicoils & bolts, shame as the left sides helicoils are perfectly fine so I must have drilled the right side badly creating too much space.

    Bunch of pics of the pieces for today, couldn't help myself & took quite a few .






















  8. #178
    Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Looks awesome!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

  9. #179
    The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Can't wait to see it done!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

    Tri.fecta

  10. #180
    Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester / UK
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Project Stealthlow

    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Looks awesome!
    Thanks 88 .

    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Can't wait to see it done!
    Thanks AmEv .

    Up early again but not sure what to start on today .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •