Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimenting with a certain material in casebuilding.

Default Experimenting with a certain material in casebuilding.

What is this material you might ask?

Cardboard!

No seriously guys don't leave. I am serious. Everyone has seen the flimsy cases build from a cardboard box in about 2 hours using components. I have access to a lot of cardboard that is thrown out at my place of employment. I figure why not try to make a serious case of of the stuff. The intent is to build a extremely sturdy case almost entirely out of cardboard. Another reason for doing this is it free and allows me to try any idea that I could think of for the case. If I do it this won't be a a box with all the parts just thrown in it. This will be as complex in design as any other mod on the site. I plan on making it safe for the components in the case as well.

I was just wondering what everyone's input is. I have been mulling over the idea in my head and finally decided to post. Any and all input is welcome, I do expect to hear why this is a bad idea although help is appreciated. All I ask is to respond and give your opinion.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Default Re: Experimenting with a certain material in casebuilding.

Well, it's hard to visualize from your description that this is going to look good. That is why I need to see some plans on how you are going about doing it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't or shouldn't do it, hell why not? The only thing that comes to mind is flammability being a paper product, but it's probably not a dire threat so long as you keep it in mind while planning.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I am not sure how it is going to look like, right now I am planning basic stuff. I plan on using a lot of airflow in the case. Basically right now I just want ideas and concerns such as the flammability issue.

At any rate I have a few projects so until I get a solid plan I am not going to start it.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Cardboard Case? Rock on dude! But be careful with it. Cardboard is actually a damn good insulator for heat, so any case is going to get very stuffy very fast. It's also got problems if you get it wet, so that rules out watercooling. (For both reasons)

However, with cardboard being so easilly available, you can try out as many ideas as you like till you're happy with the results. Cardboard, as you've said, is pretty strong, so this would be a great way to experiment with completely new case design templates.

I don't think you'll be able to make a pretty case with cardboard, but i'd say go nuts with design, and you might be able to pull of something original and unique to the point where no-one is going to stand up and say "Yeah, but it's made of cardboard and looks like ****." A clever design can always disguise poor materials or finishes, at least for a short while.

I'd say get all the cardboard you can and just go nuts making boxes.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

sounds like fun, and imho anything fun can't be all bad, especially as your fun ain't gonna hurt anybody (outside the potential for some pretty hefty paper cuts! )

when i read cardboard i got thinking about how you could make some prety strong structures with card....then my brain said...u can make some pretty strong structures with paper....then my brain got to thinking - Origami

I'm not talking about the M$ project by the same name (now called ultra portable PC iirc)

would it be possible to have a pc case where the major structural elements could be unfolded, rolled up and stored away... clip in ur drive cages and away you go?

might require stiff paper but still, it's an idea...maybe a cruddy one but hey ho...it might inspire someone

Quote Originally Posted by Needsleep View Post
    sounds like fun, and imho anything fun can't be all bad, especially as your fun ain't gonna hurt anybody (outside the potential for some pretty hefty paper cuts! )

when i read cardboard i got thinking about how you could make some prety strong structures with card....then my brain said...u can make some pretty strong structures with paper....then my brain got to thinking - Origami

I'm not talking about the M$ project by the same name (now called ultra portable PC iirc)

would it be possible to have a pc case where the major structural elements could be unfolded, rolled up and stored away... clip in ur drive cages and away you go?

might require stiff paper but still, it's an idea...maybe a cruddy one but hey ho...it might inspire someone
    Not sure about making a compuer that folds up but you gave me a few ideas. First being a fully modular computer where each component has it own removable case. Also going on the origami idea I could take some very large card stock and fold it origami style then put something like an HD in it.

Another idea I was think of would be to create a basic case. Then create downloadable PDF templates and instructions so others could create free replicas of the case.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Anodized

hey, if the idea fails you can always make a cool card board fort in your backyard right?

if it doesnt work out, you can atleast get a little experience in, maybe tinker around with it and you decide to move on to a regular case and design it even better..

best of luck

hey, isnt there some kind of product which you can put on the cardboard to make it more harder? you'll need some extra support where ever its needed because you dont want it slanting over after a day or two..

Fresh Paint

what about making some kind of modullar kit like the fold up beer carriers

maybe youll start with a ground strukture like ferry out of some layers of cardboard, I saw somewhere CHAIRS! mda out of normal paper, just fold and wrapped until its stable enough

Those ideas were pretty much what I was thinking. This project got put on hold as I am super busy right now. I might save this to work on when I am in school next year.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift