Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iron man motorcycle helmet

Default iron man motorcycle helmet

so in honor of th new movie and because i think itll look awesome ive decided to build myself a fullsize carbon fiber replica of iron mans helmet fo use as a motorcycle helmet now onto the good stuff

for this project first im going to need to make a life size cast of my own head so i have an acurate model to sculpt onto for this ill be using plaster bandages

to make the negative mold as i doesnt need to be of intricate detail... once it has dried and has been removed ill either be filling it with expandable foam

or just plain plaster ill probably go with the foam as it will be stronger and cheaper

from there ill be building up a layer of pottery clay approximatly 5/8 of an inch thick (1/2 for padding and 1/8 for carbon fiber) very similar to this

initially ill be leaving the face shield off because i want it to be a seperate piece once i have the helmet and jaw done ill lay down a piece of plastic over the face so the clay wont stick to the helmet portion to make the positive mold for the face shield

anyway enough words heres the refeence material iv found so far and will be basing my design off of

if anybody runs across any more really detailed pics please feel free to post them for me as i still need a good one of the back and the top

(sorry havent started yet still waiting on the mail for my plaster and clay)
    "it only takes one voice to start a revolution"

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: iron man motorcycle helmet

Looks interesting. I'm also a huge fan of everything Iron Man, and very happy with the movies (so far at least).

One thing I would caution you on this is that if you keep to the original proportions, you're not gonna have much room for any shock absorbing material at all. There's a good reason why all DOT-certified helmets are fairly thick. In fact, that makes me think of another possible problem. IDK about where you live, but I know in Maryland, state law requires that you use a DOT-certified helmet. IDK if there's a process for getting a self-made helmet certified though.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

oklahoma is one of those states where you can go without a helmet so no worries on that part as for the padding im still on the fence if i want to only use 1/2 inch or maybe 3/4 inch 1/2 should be enough with the foam i plan on using (this stuff http://www.carbon-fiber.us/density-u...a4df299d058224 )

That's gonna look very cool. Can't wait to see more.

first materials should be in tomorrow so I should have something posted by monday as I'm going to visit the fam tomorrow as well

Will watch this for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    IDK if there's a process for getting a self-made helmet certified though.
    If there was it would probably require more than one made and have to submit to destructive testing. I think this is more of a prop than a proper helmet. At least it's going to look awesome. In the interest of safety I suggest always riding with a proper DOT approved helmet, and using this for shows/events.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

so im still waiting on the mail but once it gets in ill be doing an update asap and great news on the update front the parents gave me a new camera so better pic quality considering it has built in macro and super macro shooting modes gotta love fujifilm

So I finally got my stuff in the mail and heres the first bit of work i've gotten done on this thing

once the cast has completely hardened it'll get a coat of sealer (watered down wood glue) to fill in any holes or gaps then a thin layer of plaster is goin inside followed by expandable foam insulation (great stuff) and this should all be getting done tomorrow or rather later on today

by the way just a tip for anyone who ever does a cast of their head dont bump the straws while they are in your nose it dont feel good and if your luck runs like mine youll end up with a bloody nose while your entire head is casted up not a fun experience