Thread: Slim slotload DVD drives and 5.25" bay adaptor

Default Slimline slotload DVD drives and 5.25" bay adaptor

I need at least one slimline slotload DVD drive for my Mac Classic project. I'd like two if possible. I need at least one with SATA connections, the mobos I'm looking at for the Mac Classic don't have IDE, I will consider any IDE slotloads for another project. I don't need a bezel so drive salvaged from a laptop will work for me as well.

Also looking for the adapters to mount a slim drive in a 5.25" bay.

Not in a big hurry, since the projects I need this parts for will be progressing slowly. Hoping some of you IT guys on here build or work on servers and happen to have some lying around. Not looking to spend a lot, let me know if you happen to have anything like what I mentioned.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

Default Re: Slim slotload DVD drives and 5.25" bay adaptor

Slimline drives do not use IDE or SATA- they have their own interface which is convertible to either with the proper adapter. There are a bunch of macs broken with slot loading drives in my school's recycling pile, so I may be able to hook you up with one. I'll see what I can scrounge up tomorrow. I already pulled out a working black macbook without a hard drive or battery today, but I need the cd drive in that one.

Here's an example of an adapter:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=5

Quote Originally Posted by Technochicken View Post
    Slimline drives do not use IDE or SATA- they have their own interface which is convertible to either with the proper adapter. There are a bunch of macs broken with slot loading drives in my school's recycling pile, so I may be able to hook you up with one. I'll see what I can scrounge up tomorrow. I already pulled out a working black macbook without a hard drive or battery today, but I need the cd drive in that one.

Here's an example of an adapter:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=5
    I'm well aware of the different connection on ATA (IDE) slimlines. There are actually some newer ones that do use actual SATA connection rather than a ATA to SATA adaptor.

Let me know if you can get any from that recycling pile. If you can snag me two.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

I pulled a drive from an iBook today. It is not SATA, if that matters to you, and I do not know it's read/write capabilities. I'll post pics later, so you can see if you are interested.

Not that particular about the speeds, I just need something so I can start fabricating brackets in the Mac Classic. I think have a slimdrive IDE adaptor somewhere around here and can get a SATA adaptor cheap enough. How much do you want for it?
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

I have a pretty much limitless supply of these, so no charge. I'll just ship it to you. Shipping won't be more than a few dollars, because of the size, so I would be perfectly happy to ship it to you for free. If you PM me your info, I can ship it to you this weekend.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I have a pretty much limitless supply of these, so no charge. I'll just ship it to you. Shipping won't be more than a few dollars, because of the size, so I would be perfectly happy to ship it to you for free. If you PM me your info, I can ship it to you this weekend.
    Readers or writers? I'm planning an iMac G3 PC conversion and will need a slot loader at some point

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

They can all at least read up to DVD-R's, but I don't know if they can write them. The newer ones from macbooks/imacs probably can write them, but I don't know about the earlier ones.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Slimline drives do not use IDE or SATA- they have their own interface which is convertible to either with the proper adapter.
    There are a few different standards, and they're actually all electrically identical to their respective desktop standard (IDE, SCSI, or SATA), they just sometimes look weird. The one that has (thankfully) because the most popular recently is basically a shrunken SATA connection.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    There are a few different standards, and they're actually all electrically identical to their respective desktop standard (IDE, SCSI, or SATA), they just sometimes look weird. The one that has (thankfully) because the most popular recently is basically a shrunken SATA connection.
    I think I've seen them with full sized SATA too.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift